Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Ferdinand Soethe <fe...@apache.org> on 2007/02/14 09:23:53 UTC

Problems running 0.7 site-author

I'm just preparing new instructions for getting started with Forrest 0.7
for a presentation and I'm running into a strange kind of problem:

Here is what I did

- Download Forrest 0.7
- Set Environment and Path for Windows XP
- cd to site-author
- execute "forrest run"
- try localhost:8888 in my browser

What I get is this:

> Internal Server Error
>
> Message: null

> Sender: org.apache.cocoon.servlet.CocoonServlet
>
> Source: Cocoon Servlet
>
> Request URI
>
> cause
>
> Could not find component for role: [org.apache.cocoon.components.modules.input.InputModule/lm] (Key='org.apache.cocoon.components.modules.input.InputModule/lm')
>
> request-uri
>
> /
>
> Apache Cocoon 2.2.0-dev

Any ideas why this is happening in a tested and released version?
Quick fixes?

Thanks,
Ferdinand

Re: Problems running 0.7 site-author

Posted by Ferdinand Soethe <ma...@soethe.net>.
Ross Gardler wrote:
> Now let me think about what we need to do to make this work. More to
> follow...
Yes please. Making it work that way would be a lot better than a new 0.7
release ...

Thanks
Ferdinand

Plugin downloading [was Re: Problems running 0.7 site-author]

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Ross Gardler wrote:
> The built 0.1 version works with forrest 0.7 so no need to rebuil it.
>
> Now let me think about what we need to do to make this work. More to
> follow...

OK, I think I have it, but I am going from memory, I do not have time to
cross check with the code. So my assumptions will need to be tested by
someone using 0.7 *and* someone using 0.8:

When I rewrote the plugin download mechanism for 0.8 I made both the
unversioned and the versioned plugins be downloaded from a subdirectory
identified by the Forrest version number, i.e.

http://forrest.apache.org/plugins/0.7/
http://forrest.apache.org/plugins/0.8/

However, in 0.7 the unversioned plugins came from the root of the plugin
download dir:

http://forrest.apache.org/plugins

So, if we replace the plugin zips in the root directory with versions
compatible with 0.7 everything will be fine. in other words, copy

http://forrest.apache.org/plugins/0.7/org.apache.forrest.plugin.input.projectInfo.zip

http://forrest.apache.org/plugins/org.apache.forrest.plugin.input.projectInfo.zip

Any chance you could do this and test it out?

Ross

Re: Problems running 0.7 site-author

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Ross Gardler wrote:
> Ross Gardler wrote:
>> Ferdinand Soethe wrote:
>>> Thanks for the pointer David.
>>> I fixed and committed that.
>>> So how about generating a new 0.7-release some time soon?
>>
>> I have no time to do a release, but I will test/sign a zip and a
>> tarball if someone gets to it.
>>
>> BUT
>>
>> I would rather see a 0.8 release done.
>

> Another alternative would be to build a copy of the projectInfo plugin
> that will work in 0.7 an put it in the right location so it is
> downloaded by the 0.7 release.
>
> If you can roll back SVN to just before the version number of the plugin
> was increased to 0.2 and build it, we can then deploy it.

Sorry I fired that off too quickly. Should have thought first.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ferdinand Soethe <ma...@soethe.net>.
Thanks for the pointer David.
I fixed and committed that.
So how about generating a new 0.7-release some time soon?
I really don't like the idea that the first thing people try - generate
docs - will fail in the released version.

wdyt

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.