Posted to dev@ctakes.apache.org by John Mongan <jo...@ucsf.edu> on 2016/02/02 18:30:20 UTC

Distributing modifiers across conjunctions

I’m working with some text that has a lot of phrases of the form:

right and left lower quadrant pain

In processing this text, I would like to identify the concepts “right lower quadrant pain” and “left lower quadrant pain”, but instead the concepts that get identified are “right” and “left lower quadrant pain”

I’ve got some ideas about how I could fix this, but wanted to see if this is a problem that others have worked on so I don’t unnecessarily reinvent any wheels.

Thanks,

John

RE: Distributing modifiers across conjunctions

Posted by "Finan, Sean" <Se...@childrens.harvard.edu>.
Hi John,

One thing that you can try is using the "Overlap" version of the dictionary lookup.  It should identify both "right .... lower quadrant pain" and "left lower quadrant pain" as Sign/Symptoms.

Check https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CTAKES/cTAKES+3.2+-+Fast+Dictionary+Lookup almost at the bottom: "Text Overlap Match"

Sean