Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Matt <mh...@gmail.com> on 2004/11/02 22:35:26 UTC

Problems with SURBL and catching stuff..

Hi,

Perhaps someone can help here.   I have recently added the SURBL
functionality to my SpamAssassin installation, and things seem to work
wonderfully.   However, we do on a fairly regular basis seem to be the
"first" to get hit with the spam.   What I mean is that spamassassin
will catch it only scoring around 2.3 or so.. based on mostly images
and HTML, but won't get the URL or score it past 5 points.    A few
hours later if I run the URL through an e-mail it will come up [SPAM].
   Any suggestions how to get these mails marked as spam ?  I don't
want to set my score criterion too low to avoid FPs.

Re: Problems with SURBL and catching stuff..

Posted by Raymond Dijkxhoorn <ra...@prolocation.net>.
Hi!

> Perhaps someone can help here.   I have recently added the SURBL
> functionality to my SpamAssassin installation, and things seem to work
> wonderfully.   However, we do on a fairly regular basis seem to be the
> "first" to get hit with the spam.   What I mean is that spamassassin
> will catch it only scoring around 2.3 or so.. based on mostly images
> and HTML, but won't get the URL or score it past 5 points.    A few
> hours later if I run the URL through an e-mail it will come up [SPAM].
>   Any suggestions how to get these mails marked as spam ?  I don't
> want to set my score criterion too low to avoid FPs.

Most likely the URL is added to SURBL later on ?

Bye,
Raymond.

Re: Problems with SURBL and catching stuff..

Posted by Jeff Chan <je...@surbl.org>.
On Wednesday, November 3, 2004, 5:30:08 AM, Matt Matt wrote:
> Right.. and rightly they are.. What I'm wondering is.. is there anyway
> to get spamassassin to detect characteristics of these spams so as to
> mark them when we are the 'first hit' before they get into the
> SURBLs... obviously someone has to be first, so spamassassin may not
> mark them as spam.  That's what I'm getting at.  Once they get into
> SURBLs they work (and wonderfully I might add), but for that brief
> time period when we seem to get hammered with spams that seems to be
> BEFORE they are in the SURBLs, are there any rulesets, etc that might
> help spamassassin with the detection of these 'image' only spams?

There probably are; I'll let the folks who work with rules
address that.

Jeff C.
--
Jeff Chan
mailto:jeffc@surbl.org

Re: Problems with SURBL and catching stuff..

Posted by Matt <mh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jeff Chan <je...@surbl.org>.

Posted by Matt <mh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jeff Chan <je...@surbl.org>.

Posted by Jeff Chan <je...@surbl.org>.
On Tuesday, November 2, 2004, 1:35:26 PM, Matt Matt wrote:
> Perhaps someone can help here.   I have recently added the SURBL
> functionality to my SpamAssassin installation, and things seem to work
> wonderfully.   However, we do on a fairly regular basis seem to be the
> "first" to get hit with the spam.   What I mean is that spamassassin
> will catch it only scoring around 2.3 or so.. based on mostly images
> and HTML, but won't get the URL or score it past 5 points.    A few
> hours later if I run the URL through an e-mail it will come up [SPAM].

There is always some latency in getting new data into any RBL,
whether it's based on data from traps, reporting, or manual
lists.  There's also a little internal latency in processing,
DNS updates and propagation, etc.  We're reducing the lag in
SURBLs, and generally it should be not be as long as hours.

If you have spam that's not yet detected in SURBLs:

1.  Report it to SpamCop.  SpamCop spamvertised site data feeds
into sc.surbl.org with some munging.  I report spam that gets
through to me using SpamCop.

2.  Report it at the SARE site:
  http://www.rulesemporium.com/cgi-bin/uribl.cgi

3.  If you have a large spam corpus or feed, talk to me or
Bill Stearns and we'll see if we can perhaps do more with it.

Jeff C.
--
Jeff Chan
mailto:jeffc@surbl.org