Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Timothy Prepscius <ti...@gmail.com> on 2012/07/09 03:05:37 UTC

tis issues.

Okay, I just literally spent 10 hours on one bug.

If, you do all your ssl certificate stuff, and you are getting nowhere with ssl actually working.
you're getting some "no peer certificate" error…
and no negotiation is occurring

check to see if you are running IceTea java.
if you are get rid of it, and use sun.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/56104/how-can-i-install-oracle-java-jre-7

Apparently this is an ice tea issue..

-tim

Re: tis issues.

Posted by Timothy Prepscius <ti...@gmail.com>.
It will look like this:

CONNECTED(00000003)
3077671112:error:14077438:SSL routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:tlsv1 alert internal error:s23_clnt.c:724:
---
no peer certificate available
---
No client certificate CA names sent
---
---
New, (NONE), Cipher is (NONE)
Secure Renegotiation IS NOT supported
Compression: NONE
Expansion: NONE
---

In my efforts to fix the bug I:

1.  tried redoing the keystore a few times
2.  tried different options of openssl for possibly triggering it to look up some cert or something
3.  thought, hmm, I don't see any log of where the BouncyCastle is actually being used, so I copied those jars in conf/lib
     but then of course I had configuration issues with spring.xml so I tried removing the MANIFEST.MF, but of course this unsign's the jars
     so probably wouldn't be used anyways.
4. tried copying the sunjce, had to de-manifest it.  tried it in different places in the class path.
5. tried ice tea 6 verses 7, so that I could use the jars without zip -d META/*
6. did a billion searches for "no peer certificate available" but didn't get anything good.
7. tried to find the point in the james source which is actually loading the BouncyCastle, because I noticed if I modified that <provider>org…</provider> xml frag to be invalid, it would give the same error mysteriously.
8. got the debugging increased finally.
9. finally came across: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openjdk-6/+bug/1006776
10. installed the stupid sun java.

and walah, it worked.

so if you find yourself doing 1-10, maybe skip to 10.

Curiously, during this time hotmail just doesn't care about the certificate, delivered stuff anyways.  Google stopped delivering.

Lol.

-tim

Re: tis issues.

Posted by Ioan Eugen Stan <st...@gmail.com>.