Posted to users@jackrabbit.apache.org by munguia <di...@rbxglobal.com> on 2008/05/29 18:23:58 UTC

Applications' db and jackrabbit db should 'em be the same?

Hi,

I'm designing a new application that will use jackrabbit on the backend, I'm
planning to use the db persistence manager for jackrabbit and the
application will have it's own database as well. Both of them will be on
Postgres ... My question is, given the inner workings of the persistence
manager, is it recommended to have both the app's db and jcr's db on the
same schema (the pro that I'm seeing here for this is the simplicity of
backups) or is it better to have them on separated dbs/schemas?

Thanks.
Diego

Re: Applications' db and jackrabbit db should 'em be the same?

Posted by Stefan Guggisberg <st...@day.com>.
hi diego

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 6:23 PM, munguia <di...@rbxglobal.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm designing a new application that will use jackrabbit on the backend, I'm
> planning to use the db persistence manager for jackrabbit and the
> application will have it's own database as well. Both of them will be on
> Postgres ... My question is, given the inner workings of the persistence
> manager, is it recommended to have both the app's db and jcr's db on the
> same schema (the pro that I'm seeing here for this is the simplicity of
> backups) or is it better to have them on separated dbs/schemas?

i don't see any problems with using a shared schema for your app and
jackrabbit data.

cheers
stefan

Posted by Alexander Klimetschek <ak...@day.com>.
Hi!

The persistence managers typically use a few tables for storing their
data. To separate them from other tables from other applications, you
can either create a separate schema/table space (or however that is
called in a specific db), which I would recommend, since it makes
adminstration generally easier.

Or, if you can only create tables you can use the schemaObjectPrefix
parameter in the db persistence manager configuration to separate the
tables from others. If the prefix is "jackrabbit_", you'll get
jackrabbit_nodes, jackrabbit_references and so on (depending on the
PM). Make sure you get the workspace name into the prefix - but this
should be clear when looking at the example repository xml files
and/or the PM documentation (javadocs of the PM class).

Regards,
Alex

--
Alexander Klimetschek