Posted to dev@empire-db.apache.org by Rainer Döbele <do...@esteam.de> on 2008/11/09 12:34:23 UTC

Maven support for the upcoming 2.0.5 release

For the upcoming Empire-db 2.0.5. release we plan to provide Maven support.

We are however still struggling to find someone with good Maven skills who is willing to help us with that task.

So if anyone out there is good with Maven and has the time and will to support us, we would very much appreciate to hear from you.

Rainer

Re: Maven support for the upcoming 2.0.5 release

Posted by Rainer Döbele <do...@esteam.de>.
Hi Francis,
Hi Francis,

I am terribly sorry for not having been able to reply to your E-Mail earlier.

We have held the vote last week and I think we have got the required three votes. I am waiting for Jörg to post the result and possibly inform the Incubator PMC.
@Jörg: what is the state of the vote?

As for the empire-db-struts2: There is not a single person responsible for a certain part of the project. Just post you questions or suggestions to the dev list and I will comment on it (if no one else replies first).

Sorry again for the delay in communication. But we all have jobs and family.

Regards
Rainer

Re: Empire-db and Empire-Struts2-ext distribution with Maven support

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.
You fail to see what Maven is: it is not a build tool, it is a
distribution mechanism. You don't typically distribute a zip file with
a maven build inside, you distribute your project through maven. You
distribute your empire-db jars through the maven repository, you
distribute your source through maven and you distribute your javadoc
through maven, and you build a source/binary distribution for those
that don't use maven, with maven.

A maven pom inside the distribution is only beneficial for those that
want to build themselves from source, but the vast majority just wants
to get started with the product and not go on a jar hunt, or have to
manually install jars into their own maven repository.

To put things in perspective: with Wicket the vast majority of our
users obtain Wicket through maven. I might even say 70%-80%.

Therefore I agree with Francis that the main build should be based on
maven, not the distribution.

Martijn

Apache Wicket 1.3.4 is released

Re: Empire-db and Empire-Struts2-ext distribution with Maven support

Posted by Rainer Döbele <do...@esteam.de>.
Hi Francis,

Posted by Francis De Brabandere <fr...@gmail.com>.
Jürg, Rainer,

http://www.somatik.be

AW: Empire-db and Empire-Struts2-ext distribution with Maven support

Posted by Jörg Reiher <re...@esteam.de>.
Hi Francis,
If you have the time, then I'd prefer the "Big Bang".

In addition to the already mentioned advantages of Maven (no dependencies in the svn, easier access for Maven users) this would also ease the pain of packaging a new release for Non-Maven-users, cause Maven can generate the tar.gz/zip and all the md5/sha/asc files automatically.
Till now I couldn't find a way to create all this without jumping through some console scripts.

So I'd propose that you provide a zip file with the "mavenized" structure that we can put in the empire-db svn.

If this is too much of a hazzle for now, then step 1 (providing Maven dependencies for empire-db / empire-struts-ext) + 1.5 (adapt only WebSample to Maven style and use the Maven dependencies of step 1) would be an option.

So far,
Greetings
Jörg

Posted by Rainer Döbele <do...@esteam.de>.
Hi Francis,

Posted by Francis De Brabandere <fr...@gmail.com>.
Rainer,

--
http://www.somatik.be

Empire-db and Empire-Struts2-ext distribution with Maven support

Posted by Rainer Döbele <do...@esteam.de>.
Hi Francis,

Posted by Francis De Brabandere <fr...@gmail.com>.
Rainer,

--
http://www.somatik.be

Information about the empire-struts2-ext distribution

Posted by Rainer Döbele <do...@esteam.de>.
Hi Franics,

Posted by Francis De Brabandere <fr...@gmail.com>.

--
http://www.somatik.be

Re: Maven support for the upcoming 2.0.5 release

Posted by Rainer Döbele <do...@esteam.de>.
Dear Francis,

like Jörg has already explained to you we have by mistake not properly followed the Apache guidelines for new committers and one of our mentors has informed us that we cannot get you on this way.

This is largely my fault and I want to apologize for that. There are so many documents to read and understand and it seems that Jörg and I have been a bit too optimistic about the requirements.

Posted by Francis De Brabandere <fr...@gmail.com>.

http://www.somatik.be

Re: Maven support for the upcoming 2.0.5 release

I set up a temp testing repository at maven.somatik.be
		<repository>

--
http://www.somatik.be

Re: Maven support for the upcoming 2.0.5 release

Posted by Rainer Döbele <do...@esteam.de>.
Hi Francis,

Posted by Rainer Döbele <do...@esteam.de>.
Hi Francis,

Posted by Francis De Brabandere <fr...@gmail.com>.

--
http://www.somatik.be

Re: Maven support for the upcoming 2.0.5 release

Posted by Francis De Brabandere <fr...@gmail.com>.

--
http://www.somatik.be

Re: Maven support for the upcoming 2.0.5 release

Posted by Rainer Döbele <do...@esteam.de>.
Martijn Dashorst wrote:

> What is the perceived difference between users and yourself in
> building the distribution files?

for each accepted release we build the distribuion files (all files in http://www.apache.org/dist/incubator/empire-db) that the user can download, including the binaries, the sources, the examples and the documentation.
Currently we do this by running an Ant script.

The user never builds a distribution, but the distribution contains a script to build the binaries from the source.
This is currently also an Ant script but a different one obiously.
And this his where we want to provide Maven support.

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rainer Döbele <do...@esteam.de>.
Hi Francis,

you really seem to have a sound knowledge of Maven and know what you are talking about.
That is good and exactly what we need.

I very much appreciate that you want to contribute to our project and you are welcome to be a committer on our project. In order to become a committer you first have to fill out and submit a Contributor License Agreement (see http://www.apache.org/licenses/#clas). I am not quite sure who is going to put you on the project committer list and grant the access privileges - you may want to ask Henning (henning@apache.org) or Martijn (dashorst@apache.org).

I think basically we are all committed of doing it the Maven way, but for me the questions remains on how far how fast.

What I am still a bit concerned about, is that we will face problems in the transition phase and that it will be harder for us to make changes and to publish a new release. Setting it all up the way it is working now took quite a bit of effort and I don't think it'll be that easy to get everything right with Maven immediately. Especially since none of us other committers is really familiar with Maven so far (although we're willing to learn).

Still I plead for a smooth transition in two phases:

Phase one: Take the current distribution (apache-empire-db-2.0.4-incubating and apache-empire-struts2-ext-1.0.4-incubating from http://www.apache.org/dist/incubator/empire-db) and restructure it for Maven in a way that it best possibly conforms to all Maven conventions. This would also include putting all required files into the maven repository. Next we will change our distribution scripts to build the distribution in that way for the 2.0.5 release.

Phase two: Once the 2.0.5. release is out and everybody had a chance to see the benefits, we can restructure our internal SVN structure in the same way.

Posted by Rainer Döbele <do...@esteam.de>.
Hi Francis,

Posted by Rainer Döbele <do...@esteam.de>.
Hi Francis,

first of all we all use Eclipse and the projects as they are in SVN at the moment are Eclipse projects (with the eclipse files also checked in). So if you just check out all projects under core and those under struts2-ext in one workspace you can compile and run them all.

I know that Maven can generate project files for Eclipse, NetBeans and possibly others and this is why I think it would be a good idea to provide Maven pom file(s) with the distribution.
You are right, that maintaining two build systems would require more work, although I don't think that they would change very frequently. Getting rid of the old Ant script is certainly an option.

When I thought about Maven support however, I wasn’t thinking of changing the internal project structure as it currently is in SVN, since this is not the structure the user will see when downloading the distribution files anyway. Instead the buildRelease.xml Ant script creates the final structure of the distribution. Hence the directory structure you proposed can be provided by changing the buildRelease.xml Ant script accordingly.

So I thought all we need to do is to provide Maven pom files and change the buildRelease.xml script.

I am still not sure, what benefits the change of the internal project structure as currently in SVN would have for us. Since the projects files of the Empire-db internal development ant those provided with the distribution are somewhat different (e.g. regarding project dependencies and classpath) I assume so would the Maven POM files. Hence there have to be two sets of files anyway.

Posted by Francis De Brabandere <fr...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 3:01 PM, Rainer Döbele <do...@esteam.de> wrote:
> Hi Francis,
>
> What I mean by maven support is that we want users to be able to build the distribution files (i.e. apache-empire-db-2.0.4-incubating and apache-empire-struts2-ext-1.0.4-incubating in http://www.apache.org/dist/incubator/empire-db) with Maven.

If you want users to be able to perform a build using maven then the
changes I proposed are needed

> Also it should provide projects files for Eclipse, Net Beans etc. if possible so that we don't have to supply them with the distribution.

There is no need for eclipse project files in subversion as they can
be generated by maven (mvn eclipse:eclipse and import the projects
into your workspace)
For netbeans you can just install the maven plugin and he will
recognize the pom files as netbeans projects.

> The build.xml Ant file supplied with the distribution could possibly remain and still work (giving the user an option).

That is an option but it is more work to keep two build systems up to
date. For example all lib folders can be removed when using maven but
are still needed for building with ant. But then as I said we can just
update the scripts (paths & stuff) for a transition period.

> We don't need Maven for our own development or to build the distribution.
> (Unless you can convince us that it's worthwhile)

Most people just generate the eclipse project files and use eclipse
for development. Unit tests, deployment, daily builds, style
conformity testing and a lot more can be automated using maven + a
continuous build system like hudson.

What is the dev environment of the current empire-db team?

Regards,

Francis

http://www.somatik.be

Re: Maven support for the upcoming 2.0.5 release

Posted by Rainer Döbele <do...@esteam.de>.
Hi Francis,

Posted by Francis De Brabandere <fr...@gmail.com>.

http://www.somatik.be

Re: Maven support for the upcoming 2.0.5 release

Posted by Rainer Döbele <do...@esteam.de>.
Thanks a lot Francis,

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.
The best way to adopt maven is to adopt its best practices, which
include shuffling around directories, you and your users will thank
you for that. Any bad experience with maven is 99% of the cases
someone fighting maven instead of embracing it.

Martijn

Posted by Francis De Brabandere <fr...@gmail.com>.

http://www.somatik.be

Re: Maven support for the upcoming 2.0.5 release

Posted by Francis De Brabandere <fr...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

http://www.somatik.be

AW: Maven support for the upcoming 2.0.5 release

Posted by Jörg Reiher <re...@esteam.de>.
Hi Francis,

Posted by Francis De Brabandere <fr...@gmail.com>.

--
http://www.somatik.be

Re: Maven support for the upcoming 2.0.5 release

Posted by Francis De Brabandere <fr...@gmail.com>.

--
http://www.somatik.be