Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Jeremy Pinkham <je...@lotame.com> on 2008/10/14 22:51:42 UTC

scanning and cell histories

We've been considering using hbase for some research tasks and were
particularly interested in the versioning mechanism.  Specifically, we
thought about using the versioning as a way to get access to when things
happened for a particular row as opposed to just what a cells value was
at a point in time... in other words, look at the complete history of a
cell.  From looking through the API and code it appears we can do this
if we are accessing specific rows (e.g. HTable.get), but when using a
scanner (e.g. HTable.getScanner or in a map/reduce job) the complete
history is not provided.  Can anyone confirm this? or correct me if I am
missing something

Thanks

jeremy

The information transmitted in this email is intended only for the person(s) or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this email in error, please contact the sender and permanently delete the email from any computer.

Re: Does HBase 0.18.0 not support HQL anymore?

Posted by Jean-Daniel Cryans <jd...@apache.org>.
David,

HQL was replaced in 0.2.0 by a ruby shell. See
http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/Hbase/Shell

Sorry for the inconveniences

J-D

RE: scanning and cell histories

Posted by "Jim Kellerman (POWERSET)" <Ji...@microsoft.com>.
Jeremy,

As things currently stand, you are correct. However, HBASE-847
and its sub tasks will permit you to get the history you are looking
for from both scanners and HTable.get. We expect this to be
incorporated into hbase-0.19.0, but cannot make any promises at this
point. I have elevated HBASE-847 to critical, so it is on our
highest priority behind "stuff that is really broken", which are
blockers. This is an important issue for several users, and we will
address it as soon as the current fires have been put out.

---
Jim Kellerman, Powerset (Live Search, Microsoft Corporation)