Posted to dev@continuum.apache.org by Erik Drolshammer <dr...@idi.ntnu.no> on 2007/03/08 08:47:18 UTC

Does this feature already exist?

Jesse McConnell wrote:

> anyway, I for one am interested in some more information on your
> thesis, the sentence you provide sounds like it is already a feature
> of continuum

Can you please elaborate?
Which feature do you believe implements this?
Where can I find it?
(Please, both src-code reference and reference to documentation.)

--
Regards
Erik

Re: Does this feature already exist?

Posted by Trygve Laugstøl <tr...@apache.org>.
It is indeed similar but Erik's thing will build it against *all*
compatible versions, where compatible means within major upgrades (a
x.y.z pattern is assumed).

--
Trygve

Posted by Jesse McConnell <je...@gmail.com>.
erik

--
jesse mcconnell
jesse.mcconnell@gmail.com

Re: Does this feature already exist?

Posted by Erik Drolshammer <dr...@idi.ntnu.no>.
Brett Porter wrote:

> On 08/03/2007, at 11:47 AM, Erik Drolshammer wrote:
>> Did this make it clearer?
>
> yes
>
>> Has Continuum 1.1 anything that resembles this?
>
> no

Puuh. I was a bit scared now.

>> Kind of.
>
> this would certainly facilitate it though.
>
> cool!

I hope so. :)

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
On 08/03/2007, at 11:47 AM, Erik Drolshammer wrote:
> Did this make it clearer?

yes

> Has Continuum 1.1 anything that resembles this?

no

> Kind of.

this would certainly facilitate it though.

cool!

- Brett

Re: Does this feature already exist?

Posted by Erik Drolshammer <dr...@idi.ntnu.no>.
Wendy Smoak wrote:
> On 3/8/07, Erik Drolshammer <dr...@idi.ntnu.no> wrote:
>
>> Can you please elaborate?
>> Which feature do you believe implements this?
>> Where can I find it?
>> (Please, both src-code reference and reference to documentation.)
>
> What feature are we discussing?
>
> I haven't read the whole thing, but the mention of 'swap the
> dependencies in question with newer versions' in the PDF caught my
> eye.

An example to illustrate:

You have four projects in your Continuum server and three of these have
a dependency on say log4j-1.1.jar. The idea is that if you add
log4j-1.2.jar to Continuum you would want to test if the existing
projects build successfully with the new version.

Upon adding log4j-1.2 three projects identical to the original projects
(except with log4j v1.2 instead of v1.1) should be generated. These
_derived_ projects could then be build by Continuum.

This trivial example could be solved by manually, but what if you decide
to change two, three, many such dependencies? The number of combinations
quickly grow quite large.

The feature is perhaps most useful for developers responsible for "core"
libraries. Wouldn't it be nice of the people behind e.g. Spring or
Plexus could test the new version against a whole range of different
projects?

Did this make it clearer?
Has Continuum 1.1 anything that resembles this?

> Is it anything like Apache Gump, which tries to build the latest of
> everything against the latest of everything else?  See:
> http://gump.apache.org/

Kind of.

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.