Posted to dev@stanbol.apache.org by Andrea Di Menna <ni...@gmail.com> on 2012/11/23 11:39:27 UTC

OpenNLP models license

Hi all,

I am probably going to ask a question which has been already discussed
other times.

As far as I can read from [1] OpenNLP models are not released with a
Apache 2.0 Licence and are typically not released for commercial use.

When building Stanbol (full build - 0.10.0-SNAPSHOT), models are
downloaded from [2] and bundles are created, e.g.
- org.apache.stanbol.data.opennlp.lang.en-1.0.2-SNAPSHOT.jar
- org.apache.stanbol.data.opennlp.ner.en-1.0.2-SNAPSHOT.jar

Even though I am not copying models in the datafiles dir, it looks
like those models are anyway available in the stable launcher.

My questions follow:
1) Are the en model from lang and ner bundles licensed with a Apache
2.0 license?
2) Is there any safe/preferable way to remove those models from a
Stanbol instance without completely disrupting the Keyword Linking
engine?
I am wondering if those models are absolutely needed for the purpose
of Keyword Linking or if the related bundles can be safely removed
from the Felix console.

Thanks,

Andrea

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/STANBOL-545