Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Anastasia Vela <av...@confluent.io> on 2020/09/30 18:18:51 UTC

[VOTE] KIP-673: Emit JSONs with new auto-generated schema

Hi everyone,

Thanks again for the discussion. I'd like to start the vote for this KIP.
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-673%3A+Emit+JSONs+with+new+auto-generated+schema

Thanks,
Anastasia

Re: [VOTE] KIP-673: Emit JSONs with new auto-generated schema

Posted by Lucas Bradstreet <lu...@confluent.io>.
Hi Anastasia,

This looks like a great change that will make debugging cluster behavior
much easier.

+1 non binding.

Lucas

Posted by Lucas Bradstreet <lu...@confluent.io>.
Hi David,

That is a good point that we should clarify. I think we should not commit
to guaranteeing the names or the format of the particular request and
response schemas themselves, though we should guarantee that they are
parseable as JSON. The pre-existing trace logging did not guarantee this
either and it was more difficult to parse as it was not well structured. I
believe for most structured logging use cases where we are analyzing
cluster behavior this should be sufficient.

Thanks,

Lucas

Posted by David Jacot <dj...@confluent.io>.
Hi folks,