Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Luc Maisonobe <lu...@spaceroots.org> on 2015/12/29 19:39:33 UTC

[math] releasing 3.6

Hi all,

A few weeks ago, I proposed to release 3.6. There were two
points I wanted to address before that, both related to
ODE. These points are now completed: the Adams methods
stability issues have been fixed, and a bunch a field-based
integrators are available.

There are 3 issues in JIRA that are tagged for 3.6:

 - MATH-1281 "Median" should not extend "Percentile"
 - MATH-1285 Description API ZipfDistribution
 - MATH-1308 Deprecate and remove "AbstractRandomGenerator"

MATH-1281 could probably not be solved in 3.6 (or in any 3.X),
so I suggest to simply retag it for 4.0 only.

MATH-1285 seems complete to me, so I suggest to resolve it.

MATH-1308 is more 4.0-oriented and subject to experimentation.
As we can do what we want in 4.0, it seems possible to *not*
deprecate the class in 3.6, even if it completely disappears
in 4.0 (furthermore as users probably are more concerned with
the upper RandomGenerator interface or the lower specific
implementations than with the intermedaite abstract class).

If you agree with this, I could cut an RC as soon as tomorrow,
targeting a release for 2016-01-01 (so I would also change the
copyright years throughout the library).

What do you think?

best regards,
Luc

Re: [math] releasing 3.6

Posted by Luc Maisonobe <lu...@spaceroots.org>.
Hi Rostislav,

Le 31/12/2015 13:43, Rostislav Krasny a écrit :
> On Tue, Dec 29, 2015 at 8:39 PM, Luc Maisonobe <lu...@spaceroots.org> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> A few weeks ago, I proposed to release 3.6. There were two
>> points I wanted to address before that, both related to
>> ODE. These points are now completed: the Adams methods
>> stability issues have been fixed, and a bunch a field-based
>> integrators are available.
>>
>> There are 3 issues in JIRA that are tagged for 3.6:
>>
>>  - MATH-1281 "Median" should not extend "Percentile"
>>  - MATH-1285 Description API ZipfDistribution
>>  - MATH-1308 Deprecate and remove "AbstractRandomGenerator"
>
> What about MATH-1300 plus MATH-1304 plus MATH-1305?
> Could Gilles commits be back ported into 3.6?

Yes, they could be ported back to 3.6.

Gilles, would you mind doing that?

> There is no API change like in MATH-1308 and MATH-1307 and IMHO they
> are safe for the back port.
> BTW I don't know why MATH-1300, MATH-1304 and MATH-1305 are not marked
> as resolved yet.
> Aren't they?

I think they could.

> P.S. when CM 4.0 is expected to be released?

Nobody knows. There are many things that we want to do and we didn't
even started them. The most obvious case is optimizers and fluent API.
This is something I have on my plate since more than one year :-(

best regards,
Luc

Re: [math] releasing 3.6

Posted by Rostislav Krasny <ro...@gmail.com>.

Re: [math] releasing 3.6

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.
On 12/29/15 1:09 PM, Luc Maisonobe wrote:
> Le 29/12/2015 20:48, Phil Steitz a écrit :
>>
>>> On Dec 29, 2015, at 11:39 AM, Luc Maisonobe <lu...@spaceroots.org>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> A few weeks ago, I proposed to release 3.6. There were two points I
>>> wanted to address before that, both related to ODE. These points
>>> are now completed: the Adams methods stability issues have been
>>> fixed, and a bunch a field-based integrators are available.
>>>
>>> There are 3 issues in JIRA that are tagged for 3.6:
>>>
>>> - MATH-1281 "Median" should not extend "Percentile" - MATH-1285
>>> Description API ZipfDistribution - MATH-1308 Deprecate and remove
>>> "AbstractRandomGenerator"
>>>
>>> MATH-1281 could probably not be solved in 3.6 (or in any 3.X), so I
>>> suggest to simply retag it for 4.0 only.
>>>
>>> MATH-1285 seems complete to me, so I suggest to resolve it.
>>>
>>> MATH-1308 is more 4.0-oriented and subject to experimentation. As
>>> we can do what we want in 4.0, it seems possible to *not* deprecate
>>> the class in 3.6, even if it completely disappears in 4.0
>>> (furthermore as users probably are more concerned with the upper
>>> RandomGenerator interface or the lower specific implementations
>>> than with the intermedaite abstract class).
>>>
>>> If you agree with this, I could cut an RC as soon as tomorrow,
>>> targeting a release for 2016-01-01 (so I would also change the
>>> copyright years throughout the library).
>>>
>>> What do you think?
>> +1 to issue comments.
>>
>> I am working on 2 other things that I would like to get into 3.6 if
>> possible.
>>
>> 1. Fix javadoc to allow Java 8 build.
>>
>> 2. Implement efficient 2-sample small sample exact KS.  I have found
>> a reference and started work on this.  The current default impl uses
>> Monte Carlo for relatively small samples and the convergence is poor,
>> leading to dubious results. I would really like to fix this.
>>
>> How about giving me until Friday before RCs start?  If I don't finish
>> neither is a blocker for 3.6.  Thanks for pushing this along.
> Sure. I'll wait until Friday.

Item 2 is now done.  I will keep slugging through the javadoc fixes,
but these are not blockers, so any time you want to start doing RCs
is fine by me.

Phil

Re: [math] releasing 3.6

Posted by Luc Maisonobe <lu...@spaceroots.org>.

Re: [math] releasing 3.6

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.

Re: [math] releasing 3.6

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
I'm all for RERO.

Gary

Re: [math] releasing 3.6

Posted by Thomas Neidhart <th...@gmail.com>.
On 12/29/2015 07:39 PM, Luc Maisonobe wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> A few weeks ago, I proposed to release 3.6. There were two
> points I wanted to address before that, both related to
> ODE. These points are now completed: the Adams methods
> stability issues have been fixed, and a bunch a field-based
> integrators are available.
>
> There are 3 issues in JIRA that are tagged for 3.6:
>
>  - MATH-1281 "Median" should not extend "Percentile"
>  - MATH-1285 Description API ZipfDistribution
>  - MATH-1308 Deprecate and remove "AbstractRandomGenerator"
>
> MATH-1281 could probably not be solved in 3.6 (or in any 3.X),
> so I suggest to simply retag it for 4.0 only.
>
> MATH-1285 seems complete to me, so I suggest to resolve it.

+1

> MATH-1308 is more 4.0-oriented and subject to experimentation.
> As we can do what we want in 4.0, it seems possible to *not*
> deprecate the class in 3.6, even if it completely disappears
> in 4.0 (furthermore as users probably are more concerned with
> the upper RandomGenerator interface or the lower specific
> implementations than with the intermedaite abstract class).

Any objection to also in apply the patch for MATH-1196?

> If you agree with this, I could cut an RC as soon as tomorrow,
> targeting a release for 2016-01-01 (so I would also change the
> copyright years throughout the library).
>
> What do you think?

I fixed some compilation problems with java 1.5. The site reports look
all fine.

Thomas