Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Christoph Läubrich <ma...@laeubi-soft.de> on 2022/07/23 06:54:46 UTC

How META-INF/maven/extension.xml works?

I'm currently struggling a bit with extension.xml descriptor there is

https://maven.apache.org/ref/3.8.4/maven-core/extension.html

that roughly describes the elements and there is

https://maven.apache.org/ref/3.6.3/maven-core/core-extensions.html

what list what maven do exports.

What I'm missing is a more detailed explanation how it is supposed to
work, e.g.:

- Can any jar contain such descriptor? Should my extension contain one?
- What is the difference between exportedPackages and exportedArtifacts,
should an exportedArtifact match a depednecy of a plugin/extension to be
used?
- in the maven descriptor there re some packages ending with .* but from
the code I can't see what should be the effect and the descriptor also
list sub-packages, so what is this used for?