Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Eric Kolotyluk <er...@gmail.com> on 2012/08/15 14:41:22 UTC

Best Practices for Passwords and Usernames

Are there some best practices around how and where to store usernames,
passwords and other secret information wrt the local user?

For example, what I have been doing in my user settings.xml is (the
following), but is there some other best practice I should be following?
In particular, I am trying to set up conventions to be used from our
corporate POM that are based on a common 'user' profile.

Cheers, Eric

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<settings xmlns="http://maven.apache.org/SETTINGS/1.0.0"
           xsi:schemaLocation="http://maven.apache.org/SETTINGS/1.0.0
http://maven.apache.org/xsd/settings-1.0.0.xsd">

   <profiles>
     <profile>
       <id>user</id>
       <properties>
<com.perforce.p4maven.username>Eric_Kolotyluk</com.perforce.p4maven.username>
<com.perforce.p4maven.password>secret</com.perforce.p4maven.password>
<org.apache.maven.plugins.maven-release-plugin.username>${com.perforce.p4maven.username}</org.apache.maven.plugins.maven-release-plugin.username>
<org.apache.maven.plugins.maven-release-plugin.password>${com.perforce.p4maven.password}</org.apache.maven.plugins.maven-release-plugin.password>
       </properties>
     </profile>
   </profiles>

   <activeProfiles>
     <activeProfile>user</activeProfile>
   </activeProfiles>

</settings>

AW: Best Practices for Passwords and Usernames

Posted by Tobias Maslowski <to...@gmail.com>.
I don't think they misunderstood what you were asking for, you just seem to have different grasps on the matter, thus a misunderstanding.
To your concern:
What you read seems to be right, user/password are client specific(pom is project specific, they are pretty public) settings, you can/should put those into settings.xml(this file is local in most cases, so pretty private) in the section settings/servers/server(http://maven.apache.org/settings.html).
Most SCM-Providers will be able to authenticate using the settings made there. You link the server-element (in the settings.xml) to the scm-element(in the pom) with the id-element of server(I'm sure you'll find out how).
The other guys eventually knew this stuff,  took it for given and wanted to hint(you asked for best practice) that you can encrypt the passwords now stored in your settings.xml(for security reasons).
Hoping I did understand you correctly and best regards.

Posted by Manfred Moser <ma...@mosabuam.com>.
On Wed, August 15, 2012 5:11 pm, Eric Kolotyluk wrote:

> After visiting http://www.simpligility.com/ I was not sure where to go
> next for something relevant to this discussion. Did you have a more
> specific URL?

No... this is just where I blog my technical stuff now so newer stuff will
be there..

> We are using Perforce for our SCM.
>
> So, what I am currently doing is creating a profile called "user" in my
> local settings.xml file, and in that profile I set the password and
> username properties, then I activate that profile. It seems to work fine
> for me and it fairly straightforward to document and explain to people.
> Then in our corporate POM I reference those password and username
> properties in the scm and p4maven plug-in configurations. Does what I am
> doing makes sense, or is there a better way to do it? The general idea
> is that all personal information stays in a person's personal
> settings.xml file.

Thats what I was alluding this. Sounds good to me.

> I considered using environment variables as you suggested, Manfred, but
> somehow keeping all Maven stuff in a personal settings.xml file seem
> easier to document.

I agree.. I just mentioned it as an alternative.. specifically it can be
useful for CI servers..

> I understand the vulnerability of putting any passwords or secret
> information in clear-text in a file, but security always needs to be
> balanced with complexity and conveniences. I will have to read up more
> on all the password protection schemes others have pointed out, but they
> do seem more complicated.

Yes.. they are a pita to use especially if you have policies that require
regular password changes..

> Anyway, things are becoming more clear to me, but much of this stills
> seems like another dark art aspect of Maven :-)

Haha... its not that complicated is it? You seem to be mastering it just
fine ;-)

manfred

Re: Best Practices for Passwords and Usernames

Posted by Eric Kolotyluk <er...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Manfred Moser <ma...@mosabuam.com>.

Posted by Eric Kolotyluk <er...@gmail.com>.
On 2012-08-15 1:46 PM, Laird Nelson wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 12:54 PM, Eric Kolotyluk
> <eric.kolotyluk@gmail.com <ma...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Basically, when I have a situation where I have some username and
>     password
>     for the scm plugin, where do I store such information, and how do I
>     configure the scm plugin, the release plugin, etc. to find that
>     information?
>

> When a server of any kind is referenced in a pom.xml, if you have an
> equivalently-identified <server> element in your settings.xml, then
> its <username> and <password> entries are used for credentials.  (See
> http://www.sonatype.com/books/mvnref-book/reference/appendix-settings-sect-details.html#appendix-settings-sect-servers.)

That text would be more clear if it specified which settings.xml file -
as there are two. Do you mean the global settings.xml file or the
personal/local settings.xml file in the user's home directory
${user.home}/.m2/settings.xml? And what would this look like if I was
trying to handle credentials for Perforce via the scm or release
plug-ins? The use of the term 'server' here is kind of confusing.

> A settings.xml file is a local file stored under your home directory,
> in a directory named .m2.  (See
> http://maven.apache.org/ref/3.0.4/maven-settings/settings.html.)

OK, that makes sense, and it would make more sense if
http://www.sonatype.com/books/mvnref-book/reference/appendix-settings-sect-details.html#appendix-settings-sect-servers
was clear on that.

> Storing your password in plain text in your settings.xml file is
> sometimes (always?) bad practice.  In that case you should look into
> encrypting the passwords that are contained therein.  (See
> http://www.sonatype.com/books/mvnref-book/reference/appendix-settings-sect-details.html#appendix-settings-sect-encrypting-passwords.)

OK, that link is much better, thanks :-)

> Hope that helps,
> Best,
> Laird
>
> --
> http://about.me/lairdnelson

I think much of the problem with technical documentation these days is
that many people still write as if they expect people to read the whole
document. There is too much context because important information is
factored out. Increasingly, people do not read whole documents anymore
(I know I don't) and get to parts of the document often by URL or Google
search, so they have no context. Consequently, documents need to be more
context free. True this makes them wordier and longer, but it meshes
more with how people read theses days.

For example, I am often frustrated by the abuse of acronyms. Too many
writers define the acronyms maybe once at the beginning of the document
(or not at all). If you skip to the middle of the document you have no
idea what the acronyms mean, or where they might be defined.

For the most part, I strive to make my writing increasingly context
free, or I keep redefining the context as often as possible.

Posted by Eric Kolotyluk <er...@gmail.com>.
On 2012-08-15 2:22 PM, Wayne Fay wrote:
>> Storing your password in plain text in your settings.xml file is sometimes
>> (always?) bad practice.  In that case you should look into encrypting the
>> passwords that are contained therein.  (See
> I personally disagree with this if you are using a reasonable
> filesystem with reasonable security norms. This would mean your home
> dir is not world-readable etc if you are on a multi-user system so no
> one should be able to find their way to your ~/.m2/ directory and be
> able to look at your settings.xml file in the first place.
>
> I don't believe the extra work of encrypting those strings is worth a
> whole lot. It is simply security theatre.
>
> Wayne

Yes - security is always a trade-off between complexity and convenience.
In some environments you need to be hyper vigilant, and in others you
don't. It is always best to know the consequences and the options.

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 6:52 AM, Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Storing your password in plain text in your settings.xml file is sometimes
>> (always?) bad practice.  In that case you should look into encrypting the
>> passwords that are contained therein.  (See
>
> I personally disagree with this if you are using a reasonable
> filesystem with reasonable security norms. This would mean your home
> dir is not world-readable etc if you are on a multi-user system so no
> one should be able to find their way to your ~/.m2/ directory and be
> able to look at your settings.xml file in the first place.
>
> I don't believe the extra work of encrypting those strings is worth a
> whole lot. It is simply security theatre.

The reason it is "security theatre"
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security_theater) is because it
"provides the feeling of improved security while doing little or
nothing to actually improve security"

Someone has to be able to use your unencrypted password.
In this case it is Maven, so that means Maven must be capable of
unencrypting the value.

By encrypting the passwords in settings.xml you stop casual users from
looking at the file and seeing the value. (Which is exactly what a
decent operating system with file level permissions provides, and not
letting someone else use your computer).
But a more sophisticated user could grab you file, write a maven
plugin, (or maybe just attach the debugger) and pull out the
unencrypted password.
This is why SSH is a better option because it does not use a single
"key to the kingdom" in the form a password that can probably be used
everywhere on your corporate network to access other resources.
And access to those other resources is where all the risk is.  The
risk that someone checks something into your scm as a different user
isn't a risk worth worrying about (for all but the most paranoid of
companies)

Security is about risk trade-offs and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Schneier is a good start to point
people to increase their understanding.

In reality, its more like http://xkcd.com/538/

Re: Best Practices for Passwords and Usernames

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Laird Nelson <lj...@gmail.com>.
<er...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Basically, when I have a situation where I have some username and password
> for the scm plugin, where do I store such information, and how do I
> configure the scm plugin, the release plugin, etc. to find that
> information?

When a server of any kind is referenced in a pom.xml, if you have an
equivalently-identified <server> element in your settings.xml, then its
<username> and <password> entries are used for credentials.  (See
http://www.sonatype.com/books/mvnref-book/reference/appendix-settings-sect-details.html#appendix-settings-sect-servers
.)

Posted by Laird Nelson <lj...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 5:41 AM, Eric Kolotyluk <er...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Are there some best practices around how and where to store usernames,
> passwords and other secret information wrt the local user?

You may have already read this, but:
http://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-encryption.html

Best,
Laird

RE: Best Practices for Passwords and Usernames

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
once you have stored the password in a secure environment
you can use either PHP or MySQL to generate 128bit md5
or 160bit sha1
http://phpsec.org/articles/2005/password-hashing.html

(Notice the use of a long salt to stop brute-force attempts to extract clear-text passwords)

HTH
Martin

Posted by Markus KARG <ma...@headcrashing.eu>.