Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Mark Derricutt <ma...@talios.com> on 2010/06/28 14:10:03 UTC

No more SNAPSHOTs in version ranges with Maven 3??

Can someone comment on MNG-3092 please, and tell me that this is some
form of joke? Or that I'm missing something.

If Maven 3 is supposed to backwards compatible and non-breaking with
Maven 2 then such a change to make version ranges no longer resolve to
available SNAPSHOTs seems like a major major break in this respect.

http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-3092

Ironically however, I did find this ticket when trying to find out if
it was actually possible to exclude SNAPSHOTs from ranges for the
purpose of releasing artifacts, where I don't want SNAPSHOTs.

What does confuse me however, is that nightly Maven 3 builds from
https://grid.sonatype.org/ci/job/maven-3.0.x-bootstrap/jdk=1.5,label=ubuntu
still appear to resolve SNAPSHOTs from ranges ( which is good, other
wise my integration builds wouldn't work! ) so I assume there might be
some form of configuration flag/setting to control the SNAPSHOT
resolution?

Please someone tell me there is?

Mark

--
Pull me down under...

Re: No more SNAPSHOTs in version ranges with Maven 3??

Posted by Mark Derricutt <ma...@talios.com>.
Looks like the nightly SNAPSHOTs are actually broken in respect this
as well, for some reason my machine had reverted its path settings.

Anyway, I've set up a sample repo with two projects that demonstrate
this problem:

http://github.com/talios/maven-versionrange-test

In this repo, the dependency on releasetest-api is set at
(1.0.0,2.0.0) - which should pick up the 1.3.5-SNAPSHOT, and under
2.2.1 it does, but under 3.0 it doesn't.

I can understand the reasoning behind limiting the SNAPSHOT resolution
for day-to-day projects and for releases, but in the instance of a
C.I. build server doing integration tests, you really want those
SNAPSHOTs to resolve and be used.

If I'm working on 2-3 modules locally I'd also want them to pick up
those SNAPSHOTs without having to release things all the time.

If this change is going to go ahead for the final M3 release, how are
we supposed to use ranges in any sane fashion?  We tend to stick to a
model of bumping the major version number on "backwards incompatible
API changes", the minor number on "API addition changes" and the 3rd
patch number for general revs of a bundle.  If we were to release all
the time just to satisfy ranges, we could be bumping major/minors
quite often...

Look forward to hearing some comments from you all.

--
Pull me down under...