Posted to dev@bloodhound.apache.org by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com> on 2015/01/25 21:05:47 UTC

Robot users

Is there a captcha that can be installed on new user creation?

Over the past couple weeks, it has become horrendous. The commits@ list is
getting buried in user creation notices.

Cheers,
-g

Re: Robot users

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
Cool. Let's hope this works.

I just thought of something, too: Apache Bloodhound is supposed to be "Trac
+ What-You-Really-Need" bundled together. Given the explosion of BH
registrations over the past two weeks, it seems this might be one of those
"necessary" plugins to bundle.

Arguably: in a LAN/workplace setting, this isn't needed. But any
public-facing installation apparently needs some kind of captcha/filtering
on user creation. Empirical evidence amply demonstrates this need :-)

Cheers,
-g

Re: Robot users

Posted by John Chambers <ch...@apache.org>.
Thanks Ryan.

I am still planning on upgrading i.a.o bloodhound to 0.8 and installing the
SpamFilterPlugin. But this is taking some time because I am trying to get
familiar with Bloodhound administration and the installation on i.a.o. I am
hoping to get this done in the next week.

Cheers

John

Re: Robot users

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
Thanks, Ryan!

Re: Robot users

Posted by Ryan J Ollos <rj...@apache.org>.

Re: Robot users

Posted by Ryan J Ollos <rj...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 2:14 PM, Ryan Ollos <ry...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 8:48 AM, Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 27 January 2015 at 10:29, Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > I was looking at Ryan's suggestion of adding the SpamFilterPlugin last
>> > night and I wasn't sure whether it was working properly. I think we will
>> > need some advice on the appropriate setup for this to show a captcha for
>> > registration.
>> >
>> > Cheers,
>> >     Gary
>> >

>> ​Would anyone mind if we turned off registration for a bit? Or does anyone
>> think it will begin a new phase in the spamming?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>     Gary​
>>

> Turning it off for a few days is probably a good idea.
>
> If you, John and I can rendezvous on IRC for a few hours this weekend, I
> think we could knock out a few of these infrastructure items, including
> SpamFilterPlugin configuration.
>
> - Ryan

I'll be on IRC Saturday from 4 pm to 10 pm GMT. I'm mostly working on the
trac-hacks server move that day, but happy to help with Bloodhound
infrastructure issues however I can.

- Ryan

Re: Robot users

Posted by Ryan Ollos <ry...@gmail.com>.

Re: Robot users

Posted by Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com>.

Re: Robot users

Re: Robot users

Posted by Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com>.
On 26 January 2015 at 18:23, Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone.
>
> It think it should be something easy to fix but I want to make sure I have
> time in case of surprise problems arising. I'll announce a short amount of
> downtime on the service when I'm ready.
>
> I might even sort out some kind of 'down for maintenance' page too!
>
> Cheers,
>     Gary

​I rehearsed the steps and no downtime seemed to be required.​

​The virtualenv has been upgraded and there are no obvious problems
appearing since then.

Cheers,
    Gary

Re: Robot users

Posted by Gary Martin <ga...@wandisco.com>.
Hi everyone.

Re: Robot users

Posted by John Chambers <ch...@apache.org>.
It appears that there is a problem with the virtualenv used for our
bloodhound instance on issues.apache.org. Gary is going to try and take a

Re: Robot users

Posted by Ryan J Ollos <rj...@apache.org>.

Re: Robot users

Posted by John Chambers <ch...@apache.org>.