Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Craig Perry <cr...@att.net> on 2017/03/13 12:37:03 UTC

downloac

I have a very old version off open office> If I download the new version will old files still run okay?

Re: downloac

Posted by Martin Groenescheij <Ma...@Groenescheij.COM>.

On 13/03/17 11:37 PM, Craig Perry wrote:
> I have a very old version off open office> If I download the new version will old files still run okay?

If you have a version older than 4.0 you could have an issue.
This is from the release notes of 4.0:
We no longer read or write the legacy StarOffice file formats (files
with extensions .sdw, .sdc, .sdd, etc.).  Removal of this code makes the
OpenOffice codebase easier to maintain.  The legacy formats have never
been the default format in any version of OpenOffice.  Users with legacy
StarOffice documents are advised to re-save them into ODF format (*.odt,
*.ods, *.odp, etc.) *before upgrading*to Apache OpenOffice 4.0. This can
be done using File - Wizards - Document Converter in OpenOffice 3.x
OpenOffice 1.x files (*.sxw, *.sxc, *.sxi) are still supported.