Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Rhimbo <rh...@yahoo.com> on 2006/03/16 01:09:49 UTC

[AXIS 1.3] java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/sun/xml/rpc/client/BasicService;

Hello again folks,

Tomcat 5.5.15, Linux

Question:  Do I need to integrate the Sun JWSDP into Tomcat?

Although it appears that I did successfully deploy my web
service, client program access fails.  Guess I spoke too soon
in my last reply. :-)  Here's the scenario....

When I visit my web service URL in my browser
    http://localhost:8080/axis/services/family-accounts

I get a message saying "Hi there, this is an AXIS service!"
Visiting the link
    http://localhost:8080/axis/services/family-accounts?wsdl

returns the WSDL.  All seems well.

But my stand-alone Java app dies with the exception shown in
this email's "Subject" line.

I found the BasicService class in one of the Sun JWSDP 2.0 jar
files.

I'm wondering why a previous iteration of my web service
worked without the JWSDP.  Both my stand-alone client and my
colleague's Python app were able to hit it successfully.

Now both his client and mine fail with the above exception.

I tried adding this jar to my CLASSPATH:
  /opt/jwsdp/jaxb/lib/jarpc-impl.jar

But my client still fails.  I suspect it's the web service process
(AXIS server) that needs to find the class.  I would have thought
that the necessary JAX-RPC libs were integrated in XIS already.

What am I missing... practically and conceptually?!!

Many thanks,

Vartan

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: [AXIS 1.3] java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/sun/xml/rpc/client/BasicService;

Posted by Rhimbo <rh...@yahoo.com>.
Hi all,

Just to summarize, my problem is solved.  I am using some
internally developed libraries.  I discovered that they make
web services calls (actiing as a client) to another web service.

That's the reason I needed the JWSDP jars.

Vartan

--- Rhimbo <rh...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hmmm.
>
> $ pwd
> /opt/tomcat/webapps/axis/WEB-INF/lib
> $
> $ jar tvf jaxrpc.jar | grep ServiceException
>    931 Wed Oct 05 17:23:30 PDT 2005
> javax/xml/rpc/ServiceException.class
>

> Searching all jar files in
>   /opt/tomcat/webapps/axis/WEB-INF/lib
>
> yields no BasicService (the class name in the exception msg).
>
> Hmmm.  Back to the drawing board.
>
> Any ideas anyone?  :-)
>
> Vartan
>

> --- Rhimbo <rh...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi Anne,
> >
> > Here are the only imports in my client test program:
> >
> > import java.net.InetAddress;
> > import java.net.UnknownHostException;
> > import java.rmi.RemoteException;
> > import java.util.Date;
> > import java.util.GregorianCalendar;
> >
> > import javax.xml.rpc.ServiceException;
> >
> > import disney.dis.family.Family;
> > import disney.dis.family.FamilyService;
> > import disney.dis.family.FamilyServiceLocator;
> >

> > Hmm, I just thought of something.  Maybe the ServiceException
> > class needs the BasicService class?  I will look for the
> > equivalent version of ServiceException in the axis libs.
> >
> > I'll give this a try now....
> >
> > Vartan
> >

> > --- Anne Thomas Manes <at...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Yes, but obviously your client is calling for this class:
> > > com/sun/xml/rpc/client/BasicService
> > >
> > > That's a class from Sun's reference implementation of JAX-RPC, and
> > it's
> > > proprietary to that implementation. Do you by chance have an import
> > of
> > > this
> > > class in your code? If so, you need to include JWSDP in your
> > classpath.
> > >
> > > You might change your code, though, to use the javax.xml.rpc.*
> > > libraries.
> > > That way it would work with Axis.
> > >
> > > Anne

> > com/sun/xml/rpc/client/BasicService;