Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Konstantin <ko...@gmail.com> on 2019/03/11 19:20:23 UTC

Hosts power control automation via IPMI, iLO, DRAC

Hello, Cloudstackers :)

I would like to offer you a topic to discuss and share your experience:

Does any of you tried to arrange host`s power control and link it to the
cloud workload?

The idea is to automate hosts switch on / switch off depend of current
workload and number of VMs running.

It should be possible to control current workload of the hosts and demand
for additional resources to proactive start of shutdown the hypervisors and
save energy, environment and and our money.

All out-of-the-band features is already here
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Out-of-band+Management+for+CloudStack

and most of the hypervisors (XEN and ESXi at least) can be controlled
remotely with no issue

What do you think?

Regards,
Konstantin

Re: Hosts power control automation via IPMI, iLO, DRAC

Posted by Ivan Kudryavtsev <ku...@bw-sw.com>.
Konstantin,

in general, this feature is very closely coupled with VM live migration,
which is usually undesired and run under human control, and the
implementation depends a lot of the compaction policy used in cloud...
Actually it can be implemented easily outside the cloudstack.

Personally, I recommend implementing it outside the CloudStack. We have run
such compaction experiments not only to optimize power consumption but also
to optimize cpu load over the cloud allowing to have nodes with larger
RAM/cpu rate.

So, in general, I don't think it should be done inside the CS core.