Posted to dev@rave.apache.org by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu> on 2012/01/17 13:31:18 UTC

Re: [1 IPMC VOTE NEEDED] [VOTE] Release Apache Rave 0.6-incubating

On 01/17/2012 10:41 AM, ant elder wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 14, 2012 at 10:20 PM, Ate Douma<at...@douma.nu>  wrote:
>> On 01/13/2012 09:53 AM, ant elder wrote:
>>>
>>> I've had a look, the only issue i see is I don't think the NOTICE file
>>> in the binary distribution is correct as it has many things which i
>>> expect are not required. When we last discussed this on general@ we
>>> said this is not strictly a blocking problem, so
>>>
>>> +1
>>

>> Thanks for the review and vote ant, much appreciated.
>>

>>> but i think you should do a complete review of whats in the NOTICE
>>> file with your mentors and remove everything which doesn't need to be
>>> there.
>>
>> I'm curious what in your opinion doesn't need to be in the NOTICE file.
>> I might have missed some recent discussions on this topic here, but AFAIK
>> all those notices are required.
>> Or did the guidelines really change dramatically recently?
>>

> See this email [1] for an answer to a similar question, also there is
> now a definition of required third party notices at [2].
>
> In a nutshell, very few things actually require mention in the NOTICE
> file, and best not to unless there is a reason to.

Thanks ant,

I've been going through my backlog of still unread general@ list messages since
end of November last night, which I didn't had time to look at before. So I did
find the long, very long, discussion(s) about it.

I can't say it is 100% clear yet and to me it seems like the 'rules' haven't
been 'formalized' or 'codified' properly yet.
To me [2] by itself doesn't explain it good enough at least.
But reading through the whole mail thread(s) does help.

At any way, I think I now understand the arguments *why* we should not have
unnecessary notices: "to keep the burden as low as possible for down stream (re)
distributers as they are required to retain our NOTICE file". Right?

For following releases of Apache Rave I'll re-evaluate our NOTICE file to check
if we actually have unnecessary (not asked for) notices which we can remove then.

Thanks for the heads-up,

Ate