Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Luca Morandini <lu...@tin.it> on 2003/01/24 16:07:54 UTC

[ANNONUNCEMENT] ChartTransformer 0.0.4 released

Folks,

me and the worthy Piero De Nicola (p.denicola@pro-netics.com) would like to announce you the first release (0.0.4) of a Cocoon
transformer able to generate business charts (Bar, Area, Line, Pie, ...) out of plain XML.

Some of you may remember me talking about it at the First Cocoon GetTogether in Ghent... well, now it's for real :)

Let me just point out that this wouldn't have been possible without some good men at the IPZS S.p.A (Istituto Poligrafico e Zecca
dello Stato), which let us make public a piece of software we wrote for a customer of theirs.

BTW, thanks to the Forrest team for letting us make so much doc in so little time :)

Enjoy ! And give us some feedback too !

               Luca Morandini
               GIS Consultant
              lmorandini@ieee.org

Re: [ANNONUNCEMENT] ChartTransformer 0.0.4 released

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Wednesday 29 January 2003 23:05, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>                                 - o -
>
> Please understand that the recursive nature of the GPL license makes it
> impossible for any Apache licenced code to link to GPL code because the
> GPL doesn't protect the Apache brands (so it wouldn't comply to the
> Apache License requirements) and doesn't allow other licenses to further
> restrict the freedom the GPL gives.
>
> For LGPL licensed code, it would seem to be fair to link to it, but
> given the nature of the Java language, there is no way to tell where the
> 'library' stops and where your program starts.
>
> To avoid potential legal troubles, the Cocoon project, according to a
> ASF-wide policy created by the Apache Licensing Committee, prefers to
> avoid hosting and distributing any code that links to LGPL code because
> that might force the entire code to be released as LGPL, thus
> conflicting with the Apache license requirements of brand protection.
>
> Also note that moch classes and interfaces don't solve the issue since
> they could be considered a derivative work of the LGPL library, thus
> would need to be LGPL-ed as well.
>
>                                  - o -
> What do you think?

Well put, and close this until the blocks get to deal with this. Sure the
legal aspects will resurface one way or the other.

Enhancing contrib.xml doc, was : Re: [ANNONUNCEMENT] ChartTransformer 0.0.4 released

Posted by Bernhard Huber <be...@a1.net>.
hi,
<snip/>

>> any way,
>> as a result of all this discussion, we shall update the contrib.xml
>> document page.
>>
>> contrib.xml states:
>> Source code files must be under the Apache license and must have
>> copyright assigned to the Apache Software Foundation.
>>
>> Shall we add a further item:
>> Source code files are not allowed to import (L)GPL-ed licensed
>> source code, or classes from (L)GPL-ed licensed jars.
>>
>> as i'm not a laywer i'm not 100% sure if the suggestion above is correct,
>> but we shall detail the contribution process to help people to understand
>> why/why not a contribution is legal okay, or must be rejected due to
>> legal considerations.
>

> The above wording is too rude and might be misleading.
>
> I would say something like this
>
>                                - o -
>
> Please understand that the recursive nature of the GPL license makes it
> impossible for any Apache licenced code to link to GPL code because the
> GPL doesn't protect the Apache brands (so it wouldn't comply to the
> Apache License requirements) and doesn't allow other licenses to further
> restrict the freedom the GPL gives.
>
> For LGPL licensed code, it would seem to be fair to link to it, but
> given the nature of the Java language, there is no way to tell where the
> 'library' stops and where your program starts.
>
> To avoid potential legal troubles, the Cocoon project, according to a
> ASF-wide policy created by the Apache Licensing Committee, prefers to
> avoid hosting and distributing any code that links to LGPL code because
> that might force the entire code to be released as LGPL, thus
> conflicting with the Apache license requirements of brand protection.
>
> Also note that moch classes and interfaces don't solve the issue since
> they could be considered a derivative work of the LGPL library, thus
> would need to be LGPL-ed as well.
>
>                                 - o -
>
> What do you think?

well said, i will add it to the Cocoon contrib.xml page.
bernhard

Re: [ANNONUNCEMENT] ChartTransformer 0.0.4 released

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Bernhard Huber wrote:
> hi,
>
> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>
>> Luca Morandini wrote:
>>
>>> Antonio,
>>>
>>> thanks for your appreciation.
>>>
>>> We'd like to insert it into the next release of Cocoon, but we're not
>>> committers :(   moreover, JFreeChart is (L)PGL.
>>>
>>> In fairness though, I think licensing is not much of a problem, since
>>> (L)PGL is, more or less, equivalent to ASL and we could easily
>>> provide some mock classes to prevent breaking the build, even in
>>> absence of the JFreeChart JARs.
>>

>> Unfortunately, this is not the case. Those mock classes will have to
>> be LGPL-ed as well and we won't be able to ship them with our stuff
>> anyway (because of ASF policies)
>>
>> LGPL was written for C code. Java, being highly dynamic, doesn't
>> really distringuish between what is a library and what is your code.
>> And the FSF likes it to be that way since they don't like java (being
>> a non-free language from their point of view)
>>
>> One day we'll have cocoon blocks and these problems will be solved but
>> for now, we won't ship xGPL classes from official ASF distributions.
>>
> ohhhh,
> i didn't thought that mocking classes has to be LGPL-ed too.

yeah, gotta get accostumed to the mind recursivness of long-time LISP
programmers like RMS :)

--
Stefano Mazzocchi                               <st...@apache.org>

Re: [ANNONUNCEMENT] ChartTransformer 0.0.4 released

Posted by Bernhard Huber <be...@a1.net>.
hi,

Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> Luca Morandini wrote:
>
>> Antonio,
>>
>> thanks for your appreciation.
>>
>> We'd like to insert it into the next release of Cocoon, but we're not
>> committers :(   moreover, JFreeChart is (L)PGL.
>>
>> In fairness though, I think licensing is not much of a problem, since
>> (L)PGL is, more or less, equivalent to ASL and we could easily
>> provide some mock classes to prevent breaking the build, even in
>> absence of the JFreeChart JARs.
>

> Unfortunately, this is not the case. Those mock classes will have to be
> LGPL-ed as well and we won't be able to ship them with our stuff anyway
> (because of ASF policies)
>
> LGPL was written for C code. Java, being highly dynamic, doesn't really
> distringuish between what is a library and what is your code. And the
> FSF likes it to be that way since they don't like java (being a non-free
> language from their point of view)
>
> One day we'll have cocoon blocks and these problems will be solved but
> for now, we won't ship xGPL classes from official ASF distributions.

ohhhh,
i didn't thought that mocking classes has to be LGPL-ed too.

any way,
as a result of all this discussion, we shall update the contrib.xml
document page.

contrib.xml states:
Source code files must be under the Apache license and must have
copyright assigned to the Apache Software Foundation.

Shall we add a further item:
Source code files are not allowed to import (L)GPL-ed licensed
source code, or classes from (L)GPL-ed licensed jars.

as i'm not a laywer i'm not 100% sure if the suggestion above is correct,
but we shall detail the contribution process to help people to understand
why/why not a contribution is legal okay, or must be rejected due to
legal considerations.

regards bernhard

Re: [ANNONUNCEMENT] ChartTransformer 0.0.4 released

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Saturday 25 January 2003 21:59, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> Unfortunately, this is not the case. Those mock classes will have to be
> LGPL-ed as well and we won't be able to ship them with our stuff anyway
> (because of ASF policies)

Well, LGPL allows you to distribute un-modified code unrestricted, providing a
link back to the original project for source code (you don't need to ship the
source). LGPL is NOT viral to the "linked" (which is questionable what that
is in the letter of the law) code, only the modifications and "derived work"
(also somewhat blur).
The mock classes can not be created, Stefano reasons, because you have to take
the same interfaces, hence "derive work" from those interfaces.
But here is one interesting point, only those mock classes need to be LGPL and
contributed back to the original project. Some well organized projects even
allow "dummy" runtime implementations without violating LGPL, where you
re-distribute their developer jar(s) for proper builds, which are often lean,
and/or the implementation jars separately for the runtime environment.

BUT, it is a clogmaire (spelling?) out of proportions, and I suggest that ASF
continues its policy, that Stefano is reciting.
Also note that a 3rd Party can take Cocoon (ASF) and XYZ (LGPL) and GLUE
(LGPL) as a bundle.

> LGPL was written for C code. Java, being highly dynamic, doesn't really
> distringuish between what is a library and what is your code. And the
> FSF likes it to be that way since they don't like java (being a non-free
> language from their point of view)
>
> One day we'll have cocoon blocks and these problems will be solved but
> for now, we won't ship xGPL classes from official ASF distributions.

That sounds good!!!! When can I have it??

Niclas

RE: [ANNONUNCEMENT] ChartTransformer 0.0.4 released

Posted by Luca Morandini <lu...@tin.it>.

Ok, if it is an official ASF policy, there is not much we can do about it :(

With all the due respect though, I think this is an error: there are countless packages (commercial or open source) begging to be
connected to Cocoon.
By not allowing even LGPL to be in there, we're missing a lot of opportunities.

Anyway, we (me, Piero, the folks at IPZS) will later decide what to do next... funny how value is destroyed in such religion wars !

Regards,

P.S.
Sooner or later a Westphalia treaty must be signed amongst the warring factions of open-source believers (
http://www.fortunecity.com/victorian/riley/787/30/Westfalia.html ).

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by Luca Morandini <lu...@tin.it>.
Antonio,

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agsoftware.dnsalias.com>.

Posted by Mark H <ma...@markhorgan.com>.
Luca,

Great work! Should be very useful in a lot of applications. I was thinking I
could use it to present a report of a database in a project I'm working on.

Mark

Posted by Luca Morandini <lu...@tin.it>.

Posted by Luca Morandini <lu...@tin.it>.

Posted by Luca Morandini <lu...@tin.it>.

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
Luca Morandini wrote:

> Folks,
>
> me and the worthy Piero De Nicola (p.denicola@pro-netics.com) would
> like to announce you the first release (0.0.4) of a Cocoon
> transformer able to generate business charts (Bar, Area, Line, Pie,
> ...) out of plain XML.

uhm... where can we find it, Luca? ;-)

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

RE: [ANNONUNCEMENT] ChartTransformer 0.0.4 released

Posted by Luca Morandini <lu...@tin.it>.
John,

thanks for your insights, we'll put them to good use :)

We tested it only with 2.0.3, which probably explains the problem you've found: in a time-honoured way, we let the users do the
testing ;)

Regards,

P.S.
John, since the transformer has not been accepted as part of Cocoon, it's more appropriate not to use this venue for further
messages: you can mail me or Piero directly.

               Luca Morandini
               GIS Consultant
              lmorandini@ieee.org