Posted to users@flex.apache.org by maven apache <ap...@gmail.com> on 2013/08/14 10:10:35 UTC

adobe flex vs apache flex

Hi:

What is the difference between adobe flex and apache flex or are they  the
same thing?

Because I am new in flex, once I search some questions in google, I will
find most of them links will refer to the adobe site.

I hope someone can give some explanation.

Thanks.

Re: adobe flex vs apache flex

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
Also keep in mind that these discussions are archived as well.  Which are
indexed by the search engines and will be available for anyone doing
research on this on the future.

And here is the history of Flex after the donation to Apache:
http://flex.apache.org/about-history.html

Thanks,
Om

Re: adobe flex vs apache flex

Posted by Carlos Velasco <ca...@gmail.com>.

Re: adobe flex vs apache flex

Posted by dude <du...@atheist.com>.

RE: adobe flex vs apache flex

Posted by Mark Fuqua <ma...@availdata.com>.
Agreed.  The link, minus the three C's (Complaining, Condemning,
Criticizing) would have been helpful, welcoming and taken a ton less typing.

Mark

Re: adobe flex vs apache flex

Posted by Carlos Velasco <ca...@gmail.com>.

Re: adobe flex vs apache flex

Posted by maven apache <ap...@gmail.com>.
Please.

I have googled `adobe flex vs apache flex` even 'flex adobe apache` before
I ask in this maillist.

None of the result tell me about the relation but only `adobe have donated
the SDK to apache`.

But generally, if one project is donated to a third-party organization, so
most of support/docs will be found at the organization, event there is a
link in the old owner, it will redirect to the new site.

For example, `OpenOffice`, oralce donated it to apache. Now you search it
in google, you can hardly find anything about oralce. So this will make no
confusion.

Back to Flex, this<https://www.diigo.com/item/p/prpopsbzbqosqapcczbbbdcrec/4cf564acf1feccd84acbf6a409f69ed3>is
what I got.

So I am confused.

So I ask this question in this maillist because I prefer to apache by its
wonderful open-source project(tomcat is my favorite ).

So, trust me, I would ask if I have other choice.

Re: adobe flex vs apache flex

Posted by dude <du...@atheist.com>.

RE: adobe flex vs apache flex

Posted by Miguel Ferreira <mi...@hotmail.com>.
Welcome to flex!
Short history Adobe Flex was a old version from Apache Flex.Adobe donated the SDK to the Apache on the version 4.6 and now the Apache Flex team this last week release the version 4.10. From the version 4.6 all the examples that you will find on the internet will work on the actual version.You just have more components, bugs fix and some new features.you are welcome to read the release notes from the versions.
On the site http://flex.apache.org/ you have there the tag Learn Flex with videos and flex in a week series that is a good start.
so i hope you will enjoy the experience of developing with flex and the community is here and alive!
Best regards,Miguel Ferreira

Re: adobe flex vs apache flex

Posted by Carlos Velasco <ca...@gmail.com>.
You'll find a lot of documentation out there talking about Adobe Flex that
are still valid to use with Apache Flex, but talking about the oficial
docs, you better refer at what the Apache's site holds.

About the IDE for Flex programming, feel fre to use the one you feel more
confortable with. You can get the same results working with each one of
them.

RE: adobe flex vs apache flex

Posted by Miguel Ferreira <mi...@hotmail.com>.
For the  IDE's the current most commons are:
Flash Builder Eclipse basedIntelliJ IDEA from JetBrains - http://www.jetbrains.com/idea/Eclipse with Flex Plugin
etc...
But all of them are good to work with any version from the Apache Flex SDK.

Re: adobe flex vs apache flex

Posted by maven apache <ap...@gmail.com>.
@Carlos Velasco:

RE: adobe flex vs apache flex

Posted by Kessler CTR Mark J <ma...@usmc.mil>.
Just one more point.  Adobe owns the Flash Player / as3 code with it and some of the core code that Flex is built off of.  You will still need to reference the Adobe ASDocs [1] in addition to the Apache flex ASDocs [2].

[1] http://help.adobe.com/en_US/FlashPlatform/reference/actionscript/3/class-summary.html
[2] http://flex.apache.org/asdoc/

-Mark

Posted by maven apache <ap...@gmail.com>.
Thank you, I got it. I will try to enjoy myself with Flex at flex.apache.org.
:) :).

Re: adobe flex vs apache flex

Posted by Carlos Velasco <ca...@gmail.com>.

RE: adobe flex vs apache flex

Posted by Miguel Ferreira <mi...@hotmail.com>.
Yes.
Who generates the application is not the IDE but the compiler.So from the same SDK you will have the same compiler so the output will be the same (of course if the options of the compiler are the same!).

Re: adobe flex vs apache flex

Posted by maven apache <ap...@gmail.com>.
Thanks all your guys.

Re: adobe flex vs apache flex