Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Vernon <vw...@yahoo.com> on 2005/06/30 19:39:07 UTC

Remote deployment

I need to use the Ant to do remote deployment on TC,
not using war file format if possible. I have done
some search on the web and don't find the information
I need. My development box is Window XP and the
deployment box is Linux.

Can any one point out an online documentation in this
regard?

Thanks.

Re: Remote deployment

Posted by Tim Diggins <su...@red56.co.uk>.
Hi -

Have you read the "Application Developers Guide"?
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.5-doc/appdev/

contains a great overview of best practices & a very useful build.xml
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.5-doc/appdev/build.xml.txt

as for docs of the tasks themselve, I think the only reliable online
documentation is the javadocs for catalina-ant, which dictate how to use
the various tasks (the tasks translate into classes).

for the deploy task:
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.5-doc/catalina/docs/api/org/apache/catalina/ant/DeployTask.html

and if you don't want to create a war file, then you'll have to get the
files to the server first and then use the "localWar", otherwise you can
use a local "war" file:// url which will upload them.

(typically localWar is quick and dirty for use on your local development
machine, then war it up - very easy with the build.xml above - and use
the war style of the deploy task.)

-- Tim

Re: Remote deployment

Posted by Anoop kumar V <an...@gmail.com>.
maybe you just want to ftp the files to the correct location...
u can ftp the war file  - that would be easier I think.

-Anoop

On 6/30/05, Vernon <vw...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I need to use the Ant to do remote deployment on TC,
> not using war file format if possible. I have done
> some search on the web and don't find the information
> I need. My development box is Window XP and the
> deployment box is Linux.
>
> Can any one point out an online documentation in this
> regard?
>
> Thanks.

Thanks and best regards,
Anoop