Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Rick Delpo <ri...@smallbizusa.com> on 2002/05/28 02:11:48 UTC

Print Servlet

Hi,    I ran the FOPPrintServlet with success. My servlet is on a server 2000 miles away. Why would we print to their server. Is there a way to twwek the code to make my print dialog come up on the client side?

Re: Print Servlet

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <je...@outline.ch>.
Not really. Not with a servlet. A servlet is a server based thing and
it's not intended to provide GUI-interactive stuff.

If you want to have access to the print dialog, you will have to install
the printer drivers locally, run FOP locally and transfer the generated
print stream to the remote site in some way, for example using port
forwarding from SSH on the LPR port.

Another possibility is to identify what you need to be able to change in
the print dialog, construct your own dialog on the client side and
transfer the settings along with the data to the PrintServlet. But then,
you will need to extend the print servlet.

Either way, what you want to do is not is not so simple, at least not
with the standard PrintServlet. I'd ask myself if this is really
necessary.

> Hi,    I ran the FOPPrintServlet with success. My servlet is on a server
> 2000 miles away. Why would we print to their server. Is there a way to
> twwek the code to make my print dialog come up on the client side?

Cheers,
Jeremias Märki

mailto:jeremias.maerki@outline.ch

OUTLINE AG
Tel. +41 41 317 2020 - Fax +41 41 317 2029
Internet http://www.outline.ch