Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Garey Smiley <ga...@main.slink.com> on 1996/06/13 00:17:39 UTC

change-passwd.readme

change-passwd.readme is still in the support directory, but the cgi-src
directory where  change-passwd.c was has been deleted. We whould put
change-passwd.c in the support directory or delete
change-passwd.readme.

Garey Smiley
SoftLink Services
garey@slink.com
http://www.slink.com/
(216)848-1312 FAX/Data(216)699-4474

Re: change-passwd.readme

Posted by Doug MacEachern <do...@osf.org>.
On Wed, 12 Jun 1996, Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Jun 1996, Garey Smiley wrote:
> > change-passwd.readme is still in the support directory, but the cgi-src
> > directory where  change-passwd.c was has been deleted. We whould put
> > change-passwd.c in the support directory or delete
> > change-passwd.readme.
>
> I vote to remove it - if we want to provide a CGI-based password addition
> and management system (I've built a couple in my day :) then we can do
> that, but this script by itself isn't very useful.

Just something to keep in mind, I have written some perl modules
HTTPD::UserAdmin, HTTPD::GroupAdmin, HTTPD::Config and HTTPD::Access to
use for this sort of thing.  I need them for some of my own projects, but
they were designed to provide a generic interface for any server/any
database format.  Currently, there is support for Apache/NCSA style files.
I had planned to oneday provide an HTML forms interface for complete
server management.  Currently, there is a CGI script just for managing
user password files.  There is a plain text configuration file that lets
you set things like:

DBType  #one of DBM, Text or SQL
Encrypt #one of Crypt or MD5, defaults to using crypt()

The configuration module can be picked up via PATH_INFO, so, one
script, a few small config files, this could manage a database for any of the
Apache mod_*auth* modules.  If people are interested, I'd be willing to
put this together, but for now, my Apache time will be spent making
mod_perl and mod_perl_fast stable.

Side note: it is "mod_perl_fast", I've seen people call it "mod_fast_perl".
I think that implies we've tweaked perl somehow to make it faster, this of
course, is not the case.  But, I'm not married to the name mod_perl_fast
either.

-Doug

Re: change-passwd.readme

Posted by Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>.