Posted to users@tomee.apache.org by Mansour Al Akeel <ma...@gmail.com> on 2012/01/17 17:24:11 UTC

Deploy unpacked jar

>From this page:

http://openejb.apache.org/deployments.html

An unpacked jar

As of 1.0 beta1, OpenEJB supports unpacked ejb jars. Simply meaning
that you don't need to pack your ejb's into a jar file in order to use
them in OpenEJB. You still need to follow the ejb jar layout and
include an "META-INF/ejb-jar.xml" in the directory that contains your
ejbs.

Can someone please give me a step by step example. I am trying this
with one of the examples. It's not working:

11:20:14 @ target $ pwd
/home/mansour/workspace/openejb-examples-3.1.2/simple-stateless/target
11:20:18 @ target $ openejb deploy myproject
Unable to copy application to
"/opt/Programs/openejb-3.1.4/apps/myproject".  Check that the
directory is writable and that there is enough disk space.
11:20:23 @ target $ tree myproject
myproject
|-- META-INF
|   |-- MANIFEST.MF
|   `-- ejb-jar.xml
`-- org
    `-- superbiz
        `-- calculator
            |-- CalculatorImpl.class
            |-- CalculatorLocal.class
            `-- CalculatorRemote.class

4 directories, 5 files

===================================

This will be very good for development. If I can deploy/undeploy
directories, it can be a time saver.
Thank you.

Re: Deploy unpacked jar

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
did you try without using the deploy command but simply using the apps dir
(even with the standalone server)?

- Romain

Re: Deploy unpacked jar

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.
The apps/ dir itself supports unpacked jar files.  As Romain guessed, the deploy tool only supports zip files (jars, ears, wars, rars).

This is because the command line deploy tool actually uploads the jar file by reading the file from disk and sending to the server over a socket.  We could support having the deploy tool automatically zip up the directory you pick and then send the zip contents over the socket to the server, but I suspect that isn't what you want.  I suspect you were imagining something where it would only send the changed files -- that would definitely be harder.

As the goal is ultimately speed of development, the embedded approaches are hands down far better.  Here are some links in case you haven't checked them out yet:

   http://vimeo.com/6149008

Note that video says "Testing EJBs", but in actuality you can unit test anything from the OpenEJB column on this page using the exact same setup:

   http://openejb.apache.org/comparison.html

It's quite a lot.  As well you can take a slightly varied approach and build your app in code, kind of like Jetty.  A couple nice examples of that here:

  http://openejb.apache.org/examples-trunk/application-composer/README.html
  http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8713945/unit-testing-a-ejb3-0-which-has-another-ejb-injected/8716630#8716630

-David

Re: Deploy unpacked jar