Posted to dev@karaf.apache.org by Łukasz Dywicki <lu...@code-house.org> on 2011/09/02 16:38:38 UTC

[WebConsole] Roadmap sketch discussion

Hey guys,
Since we have bunch of features in current prototype I would like to start talking about roadmap and other communities involvement.

What we currently have:
- Security layer integrated with JAAS, also with support for roles (based on Ioannis jaas-blog example).
	Every subpage can have different set of principals allowed to watch it - for example we can introduce karaf-manager and developer roles and so on.
- Support for basic OSGi operations
	Start, stop, refresh and uninstall operations on bundles
- Extensible bundles view which allows to add new columns
	As an example you can check blueprint module
- Support for basic karaf operations
	Viewing, installing features, listing repositories and adding new ones
- Extensible dashboard with widgets possible to be added dynamically by webconsole modules
- Example ServiceMix extension which lists endpoints, exchanges and exchange details
- Support for translations throught wicket i18n mechanism
- Support for branding based on OSGi BrandProvider services, not only on fragment resource overrides.

Felix WebConsole contains much more features eg. viewing the logs, editing the configurations (it's broken currently in our case) managing Karaf instances and so on. I started thinking about announcing our work to these user communities who may be interested in extensions. With them we can discuss scope of webconsole (and their extensions). I think we are close to stabilize core APIs and start working on first version which should be released before end of this year.

Communities which may be involved:
- servicemix (especially in context of smx5)
- camel
- felix
- sling
- geronimo (since it is OSGi based)
- activemq?
- cxf?

WDYT, are we ready to ask them for help and cooperation?

Best regards,
Lukasz

Re: [WebConsole] Roadmap sketch discussion

Posted by Łukasz Dywicki <lu...@code-house.org>.
Hey,
I've created in September project called jsr330 [1] for pax-wicket which allows to run wicket applications with @Inject annotations without direct dependency to pax-wicket nor any other dependency injection framework. It's possible to run same code with different injection sources as WAR or OSGi bundle.
It uses same concepts as pax-wicket and wicket - scaning for annotations and injecting possible services. Injection provider is set in application factory and might be used also in typical web applications [2].
There is still many things to do, but as you see it is possible to run same code and components in different environments.

Best regards,
Lukasz

[1] https://github.com/splatch/pax-wicket-jsr330
[2] https://github.com/splatch/pax-wicket-jsr330/blob/master/test/src/main/java/org/ops4j/pax/wicket/jsr330_test/WicketApplicationFactory.java

Posted by Łukasz Dywicki <lu...@code-house.org>.
Guillaume,

I think that it should not take more than day or two to let core run without osgi (with @Inject annotations).

The biggest problem is to look up services or create JMX proxies for them. For example experimental camel plugin uses direct CamelContext istances. ServiceMix plugin uses NMR instance and so on.

Lukasz

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.

--
------------------------
Guillaume Nodet

Posted by Łukasz Dywicki <lu...@code-house.org>.
Hey Guillaume,

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.

--
------------------------
Guillaume Nodet

Posted by Łukasz Dywicki <lu...@code-house.org>.
Hey Guillaume,

Any tool listed below have own 'management' tool, and that's main problem. We (generaly people involved in webconsole development) wish to propose solution without forcing anybody to using or extending it. It will depend on developers and users community if they will see benefits from webconsole extensions or not.
From other hand camel svn repository contains code which is stricly related to Karaf - the commands and some community members support it even if not everyone uses it. In fact 50% of camel code is not widely used, but that is not reason to remove it from source tree, isn't?

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.

--
------------------------
Guillaume Nodet

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Lukasz,

thanks for the update.

I worked on the webconsole this morning. I will start some commits, and
propose some "skin" and "branding" support (as we have for Karaf shell
console).

Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: [WebConsole] Roadmap sketch discussion

Posted by Łukasz Dywicki <lu...@code-house.org>.
Hey,

Posted by Andreas Pieber <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Łukasz Dywicki <lu...@code-house.org>.