Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Christian Bjørnbak <bj...@iuas.dk> on 2000/12/19 08:01:00 UTC

XMLC on Tomcat

Hi

Using a XMLC (from Enhydra.org) based Servlet on Tomcat gives a
NoSuchMethodException.

Consulting the XMLC maillinglist gives the answer that it's proberly because
I use a level 1 DOM parser instead of the level 2 I should use...

As I'm starting Tomcat without a classpath the only DOM parser to override
the one in the xmlc.jar is the one in the tomcat xml.jar!?

Is it correct that it is a level 1 DOM parser in Tomcat 3.1? Is it changed
in newer Tomcats?

Can I change it? How?

Thanks,

Christian Bjørnbak

Re: XMLC on Tomcat

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>.
Christian Bjørnbak wrote:

> Hi
>
> Using a XMLC (from Enhydra.org) based Servlet on Tomcat gives a
> NoSuchMethodException.
>
> Consulting the XMLC maillinglist gives the answer that it's proberly because
> I use a level 1 DOM parser instead of the level 2 I should use...
>
> As I'm starting Tomcat without a classpath the only DOM parser to override
> the one in the xmlc.jar is the one in the tomcat xml.jar!?
>
> Is it correct that it is a level 1 DOM parser in Tomcat 3.1? Is it changed
> in newer Tomcats?

Yes.  Tomcat 3.1 is "hard wired" to use the old "Project X" parser that was made
available by Sun last year.

All later versions of Tomcat will support any XML parser that conforms to the
Java API for XML Parsing (JAXP) specification, which includes at least the JAXP
reference implementation and Xerces.

> Can I change it? How?

Not in Tomcat 3.1, without making changes to the Tomcat code that invokes XML
parsing.

You really want to be using Tomcat 3.2 anyway -- there are substantial numbers
of bug fixes.

> Thanks,
>
> Christian Bjørnbak

Craig