Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org> on 2007/05/25 23:43:53 UTC

[Vote] Versionning scheme

Hi guys,

we have had many mails exchanged, many convo at ApacheCon EU this month,
about which is the best versionning scheme for ADS. Strange enough,
after a first burst of idea, things just cool down a little bit.

We now have to make a decision, though this vote.

Lately, there was some kind of agreement about this scheme :

- X.0 versions will be stable versions (like 1.0.2)

- X.5 versions will be transitonal versions, which means some more
featurzes can be included (like 1.5.1)

- (X+1).0 version will be the next stable version (like 2.0.1)

- When (X+1) version is issued, then the X version will be terminated
(no more evolution, only important bug fixes)

- X.0 and X.5 version might be tested against VSLDAP compliance, if needed

- Data migration between X.0 and (X+1).0 should be automated, when data
migration between X.0 and X.5 might not be done with a tool.

- But when migrating for X.5 to (X+1).0, then a tool *must* be included
to guarantee data migration.

Ok, the vote now:

[ ] +1 : This numbering scheme fits me
[ ] +/- 0 : I have no idea, or I don't share this idea, but better this
one than no scheme
[ ] -1 : Not a good idea.

Please, feel free to comment your choice, because we will have to give
an explaination to our users !

Thanks a lot !
Emmanuel

Re: [Vote] Versionning scheme

Posted by Stefan Seelmann <se...@apache.org>.
> [X] +1 : This numbering scheme fits me

Regards,
Stefan Seelmann

Re: [Vote] Versionning scheme

Posted by Stefan Zoerner <sz...@apache.org>.
Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
> Ok, the vote now:

> [ ] +1 : This numbering scheme fits me
> [ ] +/- 0 : I have no idea, or I don't share this idea, but better this
> one than no scheme
> [ ] -1 : Not a good idea.
+1

"- X.0 and X.5 version might be tested against VSLDAP compliance, if needed"
The point "if needed" has to be detailed in my point of view. But this
does not affect my opinion to the topic itself.

Greetings from Lake Constance,
     Stefan

Re: [Vote] Versionning scheme

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.
On 5/25/07, Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org> wrote:

> [X] +1 : This numbering scheme fits me

My primary concern is to have only two branches concurrently managed at a
time:

  (1) a bug fix branch
  (2) a feature introduction branch

This has several advantages.

  (1) feature isolation which makes trouble shooting and documentation of
       features easier to manage.
  (2) makes sure the bug fix branch is asymtotic as a function of releases
       verses the number of bugs in the server.
  (3) allows for massive changes in feature branches during feature
introduction
       without requiring strict adherence to interfaces - developers are
freer to introduce
       more drastic changes without worry.

This scheme accomplishes this just the way the even and odd scheme did
except
it forces a major number increment after each feature introduction cycle
which is
fine.  The other even/odd minor number scheme which we have in place today
did
not presume that the major number needed to be incremented after reaching a
multiple
of 10 on the minor number.  Regardless I think I like the idea of
incrementing the major
number after a feature introduction cycle which could span months with
several feature
releases and large changes to the code which may not be backwards compatible
with
the earlier bug fix branch.

Alex

Re: [Vote] Versionning scheme

Posted by Ersin Er <er...@gmail.com>.

--
Ersin

Re: [Vote] Versionning scheme

Posted by Christine Koppelt <ch...@googlemail.com>.
[X] +1 : This numbering scheme fits me

[Vote] [RESULTS] Versionning scheme

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.
All +1 votes from the following:

Pierre Marcelot
Emmanuel Lecharny
Chris Custine
Christine Koppelt
Stefan Seelmann
Ersin Er
Stefan Zoerner
Alex Karasulu

We will use the 1.0, 1.5, 2.0, 2.5 scheme where X.0 branches represent bug
fix branches and X.5 branches represent feature introduction branches.

Thanks,
Alex

Re: [Vote] Versionning scheme

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.
+1

Re: [Vote] Versionning scheme

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org>.

Re: [Vote] Versionning scheme

Posted by Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <pa...@marcelot.net>.
[X] +1 : This numbering scheme fits me

Sounds good.

P-A M.

Re: [Vote] Versionning scheme

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.
Chris,

Re: [Vote] Versionning scheme

Posted by Chris Custine <ch...@gmail.com>.
Yeah, I think this is fine.  I just wasn't sure if I was reading it wrong.

Sounds great!

Chris

Re: [Vote] Versionning scheme

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org>.