Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by rehman kahloon <mr...@yahoo.com.INVALID> on 2017/07/20 07:51:31 UTC

Need guidance solrcloud shardings with date interval

Hi Sir,
            Taken your id from your document on SlideShare.
Need your guidance on my plan ,My target is to create sub-collection/shards within a collection.
e.g
         Currently 1 have 10 days data and want to store data against each date in separate partitions.  like oracle partition concepts (one table can have many partitions)
Plan is to store each date data with in separate node, Total physical nodes are 10 and after 10 days, 11th date data load in node1 and existing data backup (oldest date data with purge and backed up).
Please guide me how can i perform that using SolrCloud.  1 collection with unlimited sub collection.

Thank you very much in advanced.

Kind Regards,Muhammad Rehman Kahloon.

Re: Need guidance solrcloud shardings with date interval

Posted by m rehman kahloon <mr...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks for your response,

                 actually my per day data size is too big, round 400gb, so
thats why my plan to use date interval ,each shard will represent to pre
defined date. delete will not possible.

i am looking for some way, to perform automatically,  loading time not give
any shard name, document automatially load with respect to its date.

thanks,  waiting still guidance

Re: Need guidance solrcloud shardings with date interval

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
bq:  that is our requirmnt to load data into specific shard and later
after rentention time we will delete that shard

Why is it necessary to delete a shard when deleting the old data by
query removes it? This sounds like an XY problem. Someone has
"required" that you enforce data retention by deleting a shard so
you're asking about deleting shards. Whereas the problem is to purge
old data that _could_ be accomplished by rotating shards, but is
_also_ accomplished by just issuing a "delete all data more than 10
days old" query.

But if it's a requirement, se the reference guide for "implicit"
routing in the document routing sections.

Best,
Erick

Posted by Susheel Kumar <su...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Walter Underwood <wu...@wunderwood.org>.

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
Slight typo:

formerly called “composite ID routing”
should read
formerly called “implicit routing”

Posted by Walter Underwood <wu...@wunderwood.org>.

Posted by Susheel Kumar <su...@gmail.com>.
If you decide to go with multiple collection and aliasing, this would be
useful

https://blog.cloudera.com/blog/2013/10/collection-aliasing-near-real-time-search-for-really-big-data/

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.

Posted by "Davis, Daniel (NIH/NLM) [C]" <da...@nih.gov>.
Muhammad,

This sounds like it might be handled better by multiple collections rather than multiple "sub collections".   If you create a new collection for each date, all using the same common config set, and then create an alias that contains all of  these collections.   Then, the alias will function as your "collection", and the date-specific collections will function as your "sub-collections".

This is a supported scenario, and I agree with the others that playing around with specific shard placement and shards is a poor choice.

One way you could do something similar is to limit the # of shards/replicas used for date-specific collections.

Hope this helps,

Dan Davis, Systems/Applications Architect (Contractor),
Office of Computer and Communications Systems,
National Library of Medicine, NIH

Posted by Walter Underwood <wu...@wunderwood.org>.

Posted by rehman kahloon <mr...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.