Posted to user@uima.apache.org by Hector Liu <li...@cs.cmu.edu> on 2016/01/28 00:48:59 UTC

Uima Annotation Viewer view selection causing StackOverflow

Hi,

I've been using UIMA a lot recently, and I relied on the annotation viewer
to check my results. I've run the viewer without any problems for a while
but I got a StackOverFlow error recently. This is likely to be caused by my
recent Java update.

I am getting an StackOverFlow error when running the main class of
 org.apache.uima.tools.AnnotationViewerMain , my Java version output is as
followed:

java version "1.8.0_31"
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.31-b07, mixed mode)

The following is a sample exception message. There seems to be infinite
loop of method calling between swing and the uima viewer. Any help or
suggestions will be appreciated.

Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.StackOverflowError
at sun.lwawt.macosx.CCursorManager.nativeGetCursorPosition(Native Method)
at sun.lwawt.macosx.CCursorManager.getCursorPosition(CCursorManager.java:54)
at sun.lwawt.LWCursorManager.updateCursorImpl(LWCursorManager.java:80)
at sun.lwawt.LWCursorManager.updateCursor(LWCursorManager.java:57)
at
sun.lwawt.LWComponentPeer.updateCursorImmediately(LWComponentPeer.java:896)
at java.awt.Component.updateCursorImmediately(Component.java:3137)
at java.awt.Container.validate(Container.java:1640)
at javax.swing.JViewport.validateView(JViewport.java:482)
at javax.swing.JViewport.scrollRectToVisible(JViewport.java:393)
at javax.swing.JComponent.scrollRectToVisible(JComponent.java:3109)
at javax.swing.JList.ensureIndexIsVisible(JList.java:1149)
at
javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicComboPopup.setListSelection(BasicComboPopup.java:1144)
at
javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicComboPopup.access$300(BasicComboPopup.java:63)
at
javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicComboPopup$Handler.itemStateChanged(BasicComboPopup.java:981)
at javax.swing.JComboBox.fireItemStateChanged(JComboBox.java:1223)
at javax.swing.JComboBox.selectedItemChanged(JComboBox.java:1280)
at javax.swing.JComboBox.contentsChanged(JComboBox.java:1329)
at
javax.swing.AbstractListModel.fireContentsChanged(AbstractListModel.java:118)
at
javax.swing.DefaultComboBoxModel.setSelectedItem(DefaultComboBoxModel.java:93)
at
javax.swing.DefaultComboBoxModel.addElement(DefaultComboBoxModel.java:131)
at javax.swing.JComboBox.addItem(JComboBox.java:716)
at
org.apache.uima.tools.viewer.CasAnnotationViewer.initializeSofaSelectionPanel(CasAnnotationViewer.java:1069)
at
org.apache.uima.tools.viewer.CasAnnotationViewer.setCAS(CasAnnotationViewer.java:1040)
at
org.apache.uima.tools.viewer.CasAnnotationViewer$4.itemStateChanged(CasAnnotationViewer.java:370)
[...]
at javax.swing.JComboBox.setSelectedItem(JComboBox.java:576)
at javax.swing.JComboBox.setSelectedIndex(JComboBox.java:622)
at
org.apache.uima.tools.viewer.CasAnnotationViewer.initializeSofaSelectionPanel(CasAnnotationViewer.java:1072)
[...]

Best,
Hector

--
Hector, Liu Zhengzhong

Ph.D candidate in Language and Information Technologies
Carnegie Mellon University

Mobile: +1-412-980-0646
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/hector-zhengzhong-liu/23/115/406

Re: Uima Annotation Viewer view selection causing StackOverflow

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <re...@apache.org>.
Hi,

what do you do to get this exception?
Only open the viewer?
Open a file?
Does it happen for any file or just particular files?
Do you need to perform any action after opening a file to trigger the problem?

Cheers,

-- Richard

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
Thanks.  I can reproduce it simply, as follows:

In Eclipse, in a check-out of the uimaj trunk, find the class
AnnotationViewerMain, and "run" it; it pops up a GUI.

Navigate in the package view to uimaj-core/src/test/resources/ExampleCas,
right-click that, select Properties, and copy the absolute path to that
directory, and paste into the 1st box of the GUI.

In the .../ExampleCas/ directory, right-click the testTypeSystem.xml file,
select Properties, and copy the absolute path into the GUI's 2nd box, then hit View.

In the view box, double click the "multiSofaCas.xml" (2nd item).

In the resulting viewer, change the Sofa pull-down from DEFAULT to (for example)
English Document.  This causes a stack overflow.

I've created a Jira issue for this: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/UIMA-4863.

-Marshall

Posted by Hector Liu <li...@cs.cmu.edu>.

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
Hi Hector,

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
>From your note (... caused by recent Java update...) can you confirm this is
works fine and is not an issue with an older level of Java?

The current level of Oracle Java (is that what you're using?) is 1.8.0_72-b15
(from their website).
If you think it might be a Java issue, please try other levels, to see if it is
specific to some version.

-Marshall