Posted to woden-dev@ws.apache.org by Lawrence Mandel <lm...@ca.ibm.com> on 2007/08/28 17:56:36 UTC

Minutes of the Woden Status Telecon, 2007-08-28

Attendees: Lawrence Mandel, John Kaputin, Dan Harvey, Arthur Ryman

Minutes

1. Open Action Items - Lawrence Mandel

2007-05-22 - John will follow up with Jeremy about the copyright question
in the status file.
2007-06-19
John: Jeremy was following up to ensure the paperwork for our WSDL4J
contribution was done. It's with IBM legal now. I'll follow up next week.
2007-06-26
John: I spoke to Jeremy last Tuesday. He's going to confirm that the
paperwork from IBM's perspective are complete.
2007-07-10
John: I spoke with Jeremy today. He couldn't get a hold of the legal
counsel yet. I'll hopefully have an answer for next week.
2007-07-17
John: Jeremy still hasn't got a response.
Lawrence: I spoke with the Apache secretary through e-mail. If we haven't
copied any WSDL4J code we may not need an agreement.
John: I think we copied some of the common utility code so we should get
this agreement in place.
2007-08-07
John: I spoke to Jeremy last week. He still doesn't have an answer yet.
2007-08-14
John: Jeremy has made some progress and hopes to have this completed
shortly.
2007-08-21
John: No update.
2007-08-28
John: Still no update.

2007-07-10 - John will look at CodeHaus to try and find the license for
the Woodstox jar.
2007-07-17
John: The problem is with the API jar not the wstx jar. I reported this
problem on the latest WS board report.
Lawrence: There are a couple options. We can follow up with Axiom to see
if they've done the due diligence for this library. Two, we can try to
move to the Geronimo StAX API but in this case we'll need to ensure Axiom
plays well with the Geronimo API.
2007-08-07
John: No progress yet. I'm going to follow up with the Woodstox and Axiom
projects to see what they've done to reconcile the license.
2007-08-14
John: I'm about to post to the Apache WS list and will cross post a couple
other relevant lists to try and solicit more information. Someone should
know how Axis2 redistributes this jar.
Lawrence: It was suggested that we use the Geronimo StAX API but I don't
think this is an option as Axis2 and Axiom use the StAX API and we don't
know what kind of problems this will create.
2007-08-21
John: I sent an e-mail to axis and commons-dev lists today about this.
2007-08-28
John: I didn't get a response from the Axiom developers. I asked whether
Axiom would work with the Geronimo API. I'm going to test Woden with the
Geronimo jar and if that works I'll suggest to Axiom that they change and
see what they think.
[action] John will test Woden with the Geronimo API jar.

2007-05-22 - John will document the Woden decision making and development
processes on the Woden site.
2007-06-19
John: No progress.
2007-06-26
John: I'll revisit this in another week after I'm made some further
progress on the Woden extensions.
2007-07-10
John: No progress.
2007-07-17
John: No progress. I don't think I'll have a chance to take care of this
action this week.
2007-08-07
John: No progress. I think what's needed here is what a new developer
would need to get involved. Using Jira and the mailing list. Using the W3C
test suite. Open development. Milestones. I haven't had a chance to look
at the Apache documentation to see what exactly is required.
Lawrence: I'll look at the requirements and put up a skeleton document
that we can all work to fill in.
2007-08-14
Lawrence: I posted the skeleton doc last night.
Dan: I've started some documentation that I can contribute to this page.
2007-08-21
John: I haven't committed Dan's documentation for build and test yet. I'll
probably apply it this week.
2007-08-28
Lawrence: I filled in most of this document. John said he can handle the
source code conventions.
John: Yes. Tomorrow I'm going to apply Dan's patches including his
documentation.
Lawrence: Great. Please read through the doc and make any changes you
think necessary and this action should be complete.

2007-07-10 - John will follow up with Jeremy to make the change in SVN for
EOL.
2007-07-17
John: I haven't spoken with Jeremy yet. I had a look at the subclipse
client to figure out how to set the property. I haven't found the way yet.
2007-08-07
John: Dan has uploaded some patches to a Jira that he'll review with me
tomorrow. It looks like we'll need to configure each subversion client so
this is something each developer will have to do. We may need to capture
this in the process document.
2007-08-14
John: Dan created a config file and written documentation on how to apply
it, which will also go on the Web site. I'm going to review his writeup
and then add it to the Web site.
2007-08-21
John: I've updated my SVN client with Dan's instructions. I need to go
through all the files with inconsistent characters and correct them. This
is a one time activity. When I'm done I'll put the instructions on the
Woden site and send a note to the dev list asking everyone else to update
their clients.
2007-08-28
John: Done. I posted the instructions to the list and put it on the
website. Look under version control.
Closed.

2. Milestone 8 (M8) Status - John Kaputin

John: I'm working through the extension mechanism, Woden-123. There's
still some work to do on the extensions model. After that it is mainly the
assertions that are left to complete.

Dan: I've been working on the xpointer. This is when your description
element is not the root element in the document. There are several ways to
reference an element that Woden needs to support.

3. Graduation from Incubation - Lawrence Mandel

Lawrence: I filled out the incubator board report and informed the
incubator PMC that we're finishing a few remaining items and will then
propose Woden for graduation. There are two issues left after the
documentation is completed this week.

4. Development Discussion - All

John: I spent some time going through Sagara's contribution. It's not
complete but it's pretty much what I asked for. It's a WSDL4J based model.
He asked some questions that we're working through. He needs some test
cases and javadoc.

Arthur: What's the status with the assertions?
Lawrence: We haven't made any progress in a while. This is a Sept goal.
Arthur: What about reporting line and column numbers?
John: We don't currently do that. That would be a good one to fix. Perhaps
Dan can work on that.
Lawrence: If we need a dependency on Xerces for this we Woden should
provide line and column numbers when using Xerces and gracefully degrade
to not provide them if another parser is in use.

5. Other Business - All

John: Arthur, have you heard anything else about the WSDL maintenance
group?
Arthur: No. August is a slow month.

Thanks,

Lawrence Mandel