Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by rob engstrom <ro...@happypuppy.com> on 2003/08/11 17:22:48 UTC

Passing Memory values with CATALINA_OPTS

As my programmer and I continue to troubleshoot our DBCP problems (thanks to
everyone, especially Angus for all the feedback), I am looking at some other
settings I have made from day 1, and wonder if there are any downsides or
benefits to what I have done.

First off, we're running Apache 1.3.27 and Tomcat 4.1.17 with j2sdk1.4.1_01

Everything is running on a Dual P4 1.8Ghz XEON supermicro system (so
essentially 4 processors) with 4GB ram, U160 SCSI array, etc..

So, with my CATALINA_OPTS, I am passing the following:

export CATALINA_OPTS="-server -Xms512m -Xmx512m
-Dlog4j.configuration=file:///opt/tomcat/log4j.properties";

>From everything I have read, it seemed natural set the -server flag, and due
to some performance issues we were having, I increased the max/min memory
settings.  I also get the impression that this creates issues with garbage
collection, which Im thinking could relate back to some of our DBCP
problems.

I welcome any thoughts or suggestions on this.

Additionally, running the version of the JDK  that I am, M$'s website shows
their JDBC driver compatible with up to 1.3, and I wonder if there is any
reason to think that some of the problems are related to running a higher
version than M$ says they support?

Again, any and all suggestions are welcome

Rob Engstrom

---
robert engstrom
CTO