Posted to dev@servicemix.apache.org by Gert Vanthienen <ge...@skynet.be> on 2007/05/29 23:05:37 UTC

Getting started guide

L.S.,

After having followed the user mailing list for a while, it seems that
it's quite a steep learning curve to get started with ServiceMix.
I would like to add a tutorial or getting started guide to the website,
just guiding a new user through the existing documentation and trying to
explain some key concepts on the way.  Something like...
# starting the container and connect to it using JMX
# installing some components and deploying e.g. the wsdl-first example
[to explain e.g. components, service assembly, service unit]
# building a simple SA, e.g. re-using the 'File binding' page [to
explain about the maven archetypes]
# building e.g. the protocol bridge example to explain about message
exchange patterns, routing, ...

Would this be a worthwhile addition or are there other areas in the
documentation that need work more urgently?  Are there any other topics
to include in this guided tour?

Regards,

Gert

Re: Getting started guide

Posted by Gert Vanthienen <ge...@skynet.be>.
Eduardo,

I have started working on it today, feel free to help out
whenever/wherever you can...  I have added it as Tutorial (in progress)
on http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SM/Sandbox

A lot of the information is already in the wiki, I just want to create a
step-by-step tutorial to get people started off the right way.  Instead
of doing copy-paste, I would suggest to 'refactor' the pages and use
{include} where appropriate (e.g. starting ServiceMix)

Gert

Re: Getting started guide

Posted by Eduardo de Vera <et...@gmail.com>.

--
Eduardo de Vera
Sun Certified Programmer for the Java 2 Platform 1.4

blog -> http://blogandshare.blogspot.com

Re: Getting started guide

Posted by Bummer <sa...@gmail.com>.
Awesome !!!  Great !!!

JCA related(Using jencks, XA(2pc), restoring, Connecting DB/MQ other than
ActiveMQ, ) stuff would be really great.
Since those issues are the things that we are currently using right now.

Alos I was looking for samples regarding EPR (dynamic endpoint resolution).

Thanks a lot. I really appreciated.

Re: Getting started guide

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.
On 6/11/07, Gert Vanthienen <ge...@skynet.be> wrote:
> L.S.,
>

> I have made some changes to this tutorial:
> - added a section on Installing ServiceMix
> - added some information about SUs
> - tried to clarify why the client.html is being used
> - added header/footer {scrollbar}s
> - tried to elaborate on the dependency between a SU and a JBI component.
>
> On the exercise page, we already installed a SA without the right
> components being available, so people should be aware of the fact that
> ServiceMix tells you about this from there.  Perhaps I haven't made it
> clear enough...?
>
> I also tried to work out the structure you were describing on
> http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/x/ON4, with different levels of
> tutorial complexity.
>
> Any additional comment?

This looks very good, Gert. Now we just need to do this for all the
examples and continue to come up with new use cases for examples. This
will help us to create a a type of cookbook. And speaking of use
cases, we need to make sure to document the use case for each example
that we're documenting.

Again, nice work Gert!

Bruce
);'