Posted to c-dev@xerces.apache.org by Tian WenQiang <we...@yahoo.com> on 2005/08/30 03:22:51 UTC

Some Question about Xerces

Dear,

    Our organization is planning a big project which
is a Linux-Embedded system and will be sold as
products in the market.
    It is necessary for us to choose a XML Parser
product. From internet, we found your XML Parser
product -- Xerces, and we are very interested in it,
so we have a few important questions to ask though
some of the answers to them might be found in your
website, but we are a little afraid whether the
information might be out-of-date.
    We will really appreciate your help if you could
help us find the answers to the following questions:

   1.We know the Xerces is suport the DOM level 2 and
DOM level 3. But we couldn't find the "Views",
"Events", "Style" and "HTML" of DOM level 2 is support
from the homepage or the source code. And We couldn't
find the other function except "Core" and "Load and
Save" of the DOM level 3.
   Does it mean "Views", "Events", "Style" and "HTML"
of DOM level 2 and "Validation", "Views and
Formatting", "Events", "Xpath" and "Abstract Schemas"
of DOM level 3 is not support?
  By the way, we find some source of Xpath of DOM
level 3. Does it mean the Xapth of DOM level 3 is
already to join the Xerces's develop plan?

  2.The information of DTD and XML Schema is too hard
to find at your homepage and the source code.
    We want to know Xerces support the full function
of the DTD and XML Schema? We pay attention to the
"interpret" ,"interpret external" and "validity
verification" of them.

  3.Could you tell us how about the memory of the
Xerces  runing.We are afraid of our test result.

   Thank you very much again!
   Wish a successful further cooperation!

Best regards

Tian WenQiang
2005.8.30

Re: Some Question about Xerces

Posted by Alberto Massari <am...@datadirect.com>.
Hi Tian,

At 18.22 29/08/2005 -0700, Tian WenQiang wrote:
>[..]
>    1.We know the Xerces is suport the DOM level 2 and
>DOM level 3. But we couldn't find the "Views",
>"Events", "Style" and "HTML" of DOM level 2 is support
>from the homepage or the source code. And We couldn't
>find the other function except "Core" and "Load and
>Save" of the DOM level 3.
>    Does it mean "Views", "Events", "Style" and "HTML"
>of DOM level 2 and "Validation", "Views and
>Formatting", "Events", "Xpath" and "Abstract Schemas"
>of DOM level 3 is not support?

Right; Xerces supports the parts of the DOM specification that are
XML-related. The parts dealing with HTML, XPath and schema
information are not implemented. BTW, the support for DOM Level 3 is
being updated as part of the Xerces 3.0 release.

>   By the way, we find some source of Xpath of DOM
>level 3. Does it mean the Xapth of DOM level 3 is
>already to join the Xerces's develop plan?

The interfaces for the XPath specification have been placed inside
Xerces to help the integration of Pathan, an open source project that
adds XPath 1.0 and 2.0 support to Xerces.

>   2.The information of DTD and XML Schema is too hard
>to find at your homepage and the source code.
>     We want to know Xerces support the full function
>of the DTD and XML Schema? We pay attention to the
>"interpret" ,"interpret external" and "validity
>verification" of them.

I don't recall any functions with those names in the XML or XMLSchema
specs; could you point me to the parts of the specifications where
they are defined?

>   3.Could you tell us how about the memory of the
>Xerces  runing.We are afraid of our test result.

Could you be more precise? Which kind of memory are you referring to?
(memory usage of DOM trees, memory used to validate XML, etc...)

Alberto

Re: Some Question about Xerces

Posted by Alberto Massari <am...@datadirect.com>.
Hi Tian,