Posted to dev@cassandra.apache.org by Johannes Weißl <ja...@molb.org> on 2022/07/14 21:27:02 UTC

Re: Slow unit tests with Cassandra 4.x on macOS

Hi Jacek,

Sorry for the late respone! We still have the issue. The call to InetAddress.getLocalHost() is very fast on both Linux and macOS.

I have attached the example program "test_slow_cassandra_drop.sh". Example results for me (do not deviate much between runs):

===> With Cassandra 4.0.4 on Darwin x86_64 creating 30 keyspaces takes 6 seconds, dropping 30 keyspaces takes 62 seconds.
===> With Cassandra 4.0.4 on Darwin arm64 creating 30 keyspaces takes 5 seconds, dropping 30 keyspaces takes 49 seconds.
===> With Cassandra 4.0.4 on Linux x86_64 creating 30 keyspaces takes 2 seconds, dropping 30 keyspaces takes 2 seconds.

With Cassandra 3.11.x macOS and Linux were pretty similar. I have the suspicion it might have something to do with the Apple File System, because, as mentioned below, when Cassandra is started via Docker on macOS, dropping keyspaces is very fast.

Thanks for your help!

Johannes