Posted to user@velocity.apache.org by Akbar Ibrahim <ak...@db.com> on 2002/05/24 12:18:12 UTC

Veltools and Internationalized images

Hi,

I have been trying out Velocity Tools (especially the Velocity Struts part of it). It's very intuitive and I found the transition from JSP/Struts to Velocity/Struts absolutely effortless. In two and half words - it's Brilliant. :)

I was looking for a way to deal with internationalized images and was hoping to find something which would make the process as painless as internationalized strings. But I couldn't figure out anything in Velocity Tools to do that. All the internationalization seems to be geared towards strings.

If I have missed something do point it out to me. Or if this feature is not available could we add it. I am eager to contribute.

Thanks,
Akbar

Re: Veltools and Internationalized images

Posted by Gabriel Sidler <si...@teamup.ch>.
Akbar Ibrahim wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have been trying out Velocity Tools (especially the Velocity Struts part of it).

> It's very intuitive and I found the transition from JSP/Struts to Velocity/Struts

> absolutely effortless. In two and half words - it's Brilliant. :)

Cool. I am glad it serves your needs. I'll keep your statement for
a quotes pages :-)

> I was looking for a way to deal with internationalized images and was hoping to

> find something which would make the process as painless as internationalized

> strings. But I couldn't figure out anything in Velocity Tools to do that.

> All the internationalization seems to be geared towards strings.

I assume by "deal with internationalized images" you mean a way to
determine the filename of images with language-specific content?

The MultiViewsTool might be what you are looking for. It can be used to
find localized resources, including image files.

You find it in the jakarta-velocity-tools distribution under
view\src\java\org\apache\velocity\tools\view\i18n
It's a view tool like the Struts tools and can be loaded automatically.
All you should have to do is configure it in toolbox.xml to be loaded.

Is this what you are looking for?

Gabe

> Thanks,
> Akbar
>

> --
>
> This e-mail may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in error) please notify the sender immediately and destroy this e-mail. Any unauthorized copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in this e-mail is strictly forbidden.

> .

Gabriel Sidler
Software Engineer, Eivycom GmbH, Zurich, Switzerland

RE: Veltools and Internationalized images

Posted by "Charles N. Harvey III" <ch...@alloy.com>.
Akbar,
>From what I understand about what you are asking it should be the same as
internationalized strings.

If this is for strings:
$msg.myTitle

Then I would think that you could do this for images:
$img.myTitleImage

And in the images_en.txt or images_fr.txt (or database) you would save the
path to the image.

Now, this is from what I understand.  If you are actually looking to do
something else then I don't know how to help.  Hope that helps.

Charlie