Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by "Steve.V." <st...@sas.com> on 2012/12/09 23:35:23 UTC

I see defaultReadTimeout=-1 in MessageServlet.java, but experience 20 secs.

I see defaultReadTimeout=-1 in "MessageServlet.java", but when my client does
not specify a readTimeout= parameter on the URL, and there are no messages
on the queue, then my HTTP client actually experiences a timeout of 20
seconds.  Is that a bug?  Am I looking at the wrong code?

That 20 second timeout corresponds to the "maximumReadTimeout = 20000" I see
in "MessageServlet.java".  When is the defaultReadTimeout used?

I assume it is ok for my HTTP client to specify a readTimeout= value of -1.
It appears to work.  Is -1 always going to be supported?

Thanks,
Stephen Vincent

-----
Stephen Vincent

Re: I see defaultReadTimeout=-1 in MessageServlet.java, but experience 20 secs.

Posted by Christian Posta <ch...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for closing the loop on this!

On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 3:50 PM, Steve.V. <st...@sas.com> wrote:

> I looked deeper into "MessageServlet.java" and see the getReadTimeout
> changes
> readTimeout values that are less than zero or greater than
> maximumReadTimeout to maximumReadTimeout.  That explains why I was seeing a
> 20 second timeout.  In my client application, I plan to set a default
> time-out value of 1 millisecond since I think it will be more common for my
> users to expect an immediate response when the destination has no messages.
>

> -----
> Stephen Vincent

*Christian Posta*
http://www.christianposta.com/blog
twitter: @christianposta

Re: I see defaultReadTimeout=-1 in MessageServlet.java, but experience 20 secs.