Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Justyna Horwat <Ju...@Sun.com> on 2002/08/01 03:21:31 UTC

New coyote branch

I looked in jakarta-tomcat-connectors and it doesn't look like
jakarta-tomcat-connectors has been branched yet. I checked the archives
and saw the vote results where it was decided that the HEAD of
jakarta-tomcat-connectors will be used for Tomcat 5 and Coyote 1.0 would
be branched.

I'd like to request that this branch be created. Remy?

The reason I ask is that I'm working on a servlet 2.4 servlet request
events implementation which involves modifying CoyoteRequest.java.

Thanks!

Justy

Re: New coyote branch

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
Justyna Horwat wrote:
> I looked in jakarta-tomcat-connectors and it doesn't look like
> jakarta-tomcat-connectors has been branched yet. I checked the archives
> and saw the vote results where it was decided that the HEAD of
> jakarta-tomcat-connectors will be used for Tomcat 5 and Coyote 1.0 would
> be branched.
>
> I'd like to request that this branch be created. Remy?
>
> The reason I ask is that I'm working on a servlet 2.4 servlet request
> events implementation which involves modifying CoyoteRequest.java.

There are a couple issues which should be fixed first if possible (see
the i18n bugs in BZ).

Note that the branch will be created when we actually start to make API
changes. For the new API support, I was planning to add a new Tomcat 5
adapter (next to the Tomcat 3 and Tomcat 4 adapters).

Remy

Re: New coyote branch

Posted by co...@covalent.net.
Justy,

You'll also need to change coyote.Request - since it is the real
attribute store.

As I mentioned, you'll need to add 2 ActionCodes. That's the correct
implementation IMHO ( independent of where you put the
CoyoyteRequest ).

If it can wait a bit - I can help.

Costin

Re: New coyote branch

Posted by Justyna Horwat <Ju...@Sun.com>.

Re: New coyote branch

Posted by Patrick Luby <pa...@sun.com>.
Justy,

costinm@covalent.net wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Jul 2002, Peter Lin wrote:
>

>> Justyna Horwat wrote:I looked in jakarta-tomcat-connectors and it doesn't look like
>>jakarta-tomcat-connectors has been branched yet. I checked the archives
>>and saw the vote results where it was decided that the HEAD of
>>jakarta-tomcat-connectors will be used for Tomcat 5 and Coyote 1.0 would
>>be branched.
>>
>>I'd like to request that this branch be created. Remy?
>>
>>The reason I ask is that I'm working on a servlet 2.4 servlet request
>>events implementation which involves modifying CoyoteRequest.java.
>

> What kind of changes ? Coyote should be independent of servlet,
> if you need to add something you can add it to the main branch.
>
> 2.4 should be backward compatible - so it shouldn't change any
> behavior.
>
> Costin

Patrick Luby                     Email: patrick.luby@sun.com
Sun Microsystems                         Phone: 408-276-7471
901 San Antonio Road, USCA14-303
Palo Alto, CA 94303-4900

Re: New coyote branch

Posted by co...@covalent.net.
What about this:

- make the changes in CoyoteRequest
- after we cleanup/enhance the ActionCode and hooking in
coyote - we use it instead ( and support connector attributes
and lazy eval )

BTW, it would be quite interesting to have this 'close' to
the semantics of JMX notifications.

It is nice to have all requests as mbeans  - not for admin
but for instrumentation ( what requests are active at each
moment, statistical data, etc - eventually some methods like
interrupt ). Attribute changes ( at context/session level )
could be bridged into jmx notifications.

Costin

Re: New coyote branch

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Thu, 1 Aug 2002 costinm@covalent.net wrote:

> Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 14:40:33 -0700 (PDT)
> From: costinm@covalent.net
> To: Tomcat Developers List <to...@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: Re: New coyote branch
>
> On Thu, 1 Aug 2002, Craig R. McClanahan wrote:
>
> > o.a.coyote.Request doesn't have setAttribute() or replaceAttribute()
> > methods, so I don't see why it would be affected -- only the Servlet 2.4
> > version of CoyoteRequest would seem to matter.
>
> ???
>
> Are we talking about the same thing ?
> j-t-c/coyote/src/java/org/apache/coyote/Request.java does have
> setAttribute().

Well it does now ... it didn't in the version I had checked out (with a
sticky tag so I wasn't seeing all he recent changes) :-).

I see what you're talking about now -- but I'd bet you can still isolate
the changes into CoyoteRequest by putting some stuff into
setCoyoteRequest() to fire the event notifications.

> The request attributes are set by the connector - SSL stuff. For
> lazy evaluation we also need a getAttribute callback.
>
> I don't think coyote or connectors will replace attributes - at least
> the attributes in 2.3 are only set once ( and in theory before the
> request is served ).

That makes sense.

> > I don't understand what these have to do with the
> > ServletRequest.removeAttribute() and ServletRequest.setAttribute() method
> > implementations.
>
> If you want to be notified when an attribute is added to the request -
> it's not only ServletRequest.setAttribute that does that.
>
> Again, if the spec requires notifications _only_ for attribute
> changes initiated by a servlet - then it's fine to implement this
> only in ServletRequest.setAttribute().
>
> Costin

Craig

Re: New coyote branch

Posted by co...@covalent.net.

Re: New coyote branch

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Thu, 1 Aug 2002 costinm@covalent.net wrote:

> Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 09:51:09 -0700 (PDT)
> From: costinm@covalent.net
> To: Tomcat Developers List <to...@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: Re: New coyote branch

> > > What kind of changes ? Coyote should be independent of servlet,
> > > if you need to add something you can add it to the main branch.
> > >
> > > 2.4 should be backward compatible - so it shouldn't change any
> > > behavior.
> > >

> > Servlet 2.4 introduces attribute change listeners on the ServletRequest
> > interface, analogous to the ones on sessions and contexts.  The
> > implementation of these features has to be in the concrete ServletRequest
> > instance's removeAttribute() and setAttribute() methods.  See the public
> > draft spec for details.
> >
> > In the current Catalina archtecture, the connector provides this concrete
> > class -- and in the case at hand, it's CoyoteRequest.
>
> Few alternatives to branching:
> - move CoyoteRequest to jakarta-catalina ( we could also move Tomcat33
> classes in tomcat33 cvs ). We agreed that tomcat depends on coyote,
> not the reverse.
> - create a tomcat5 dir with the new methods.
>
> One important note: if the spec wants notification for _all_ request
> attribute changes, we'll also need to implement this in coyote.Request.
> Currently that require 2 new ActionCodes.

o.a.coyote.Request doesn't have setAttribute() or replaceAttribute()
methods, so I don't see why it would be affected -- only the Servlet 2.4
version of CoyoteRequest would seem to matter.

> We should also add an ActionCode for _get_ attribute, to support 'lazy'
> evaluation of some attributes.
>
> 3.3 uses a get/setInfo hook - it works for both Request and Context
> attributes.

I don't understand what these have to do with the
ServletRequest.removeAttribute() and ServletRequest.setAttribute() method
implementations.

> Costin

Craig

Re: New coyote branch

Posted by co...@covalent.net.

Re: New coyote branch

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Thu, 1 Aug 2002 costinm@covalent.net wrote:

> Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 07:10:09 -0700 (PDT)
> From: costinm@covalent.net
> To: Tomcat Developers List <to...@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: Re: New coyote branch
>
> On Wed, 31 Jul 2002, Peter Lin wrote:
>
> >  Justyna Horwat wrote:I looked in jakarta-tomcat-connectors and it doesn't look like
> > jakarta-tomcat-connectors has been branched yet. I checked the archives
> > and saw the vote results where it was decided that the HEAD of
> > jakarta-tomcat-connectors will be used for Tomcat 5 and Coyote 1.0 would
> > be branched.
> >
> > I'd like to request that this branch be created. Remy?
> >
> > The reason I ask is that I'm working on a servlet 2.4 servlet request
> > events implementation which involves modifying CoyoteRequest.java.
>
> What kind of changes ? Coyote should be independent of servlet,
> if you need to add something you can add it to the main branch.
>
> 2.4 should be backward compatible - so it shouldn't change any
> behavior.

Servlet 2.4 introduces attribute change listeners on the ServletRequest
interface, analogous to the ones on sessions and contexts.  The
implementation of these features has to be in the concrete ServletRequest
instance's removeAttribute() and setAttribute() methods.  See the public
draft spec for details.

In the current Catalina archtecture, the connector provides this concrete
class -- and in the case at hand, it's CoyoteRequest.

> Costin

Craig

Re: New coyote branch

Posted by co...@covalent.net.