Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Peter Thomassen <ma...@peter-thomassen.de> on 2007/05/19 23:27:58 UTC

Secondary group membership respected?

Hi.

I'm using mod_vhost and have "VirtualDocumentRoot /var/www/vhost/%0"
configured. The /var/www/vhost/ directory belongs to root:daemon. The
Apache user www-data belongs primarily to www-data, and also to daemon and
ftpuser.

I thought that Apache could access the vhost/ directory when its mode is
750, but I found out that it only works with 755, disclosing things to
other users. I therefore think that the secondary groups aren't respected
in a proper way.

What makes me wonder is that this only can be half of the truth: The files
Apache serves belong to the ftpuser group (which is a secondary group of
the Apache user). These files can be accessed by Apache without an error.
Why then doesn't that work for my vhost/ directory?

Thank you,
Peter

Re: Secondary group membership respected?

Posted by Peter Thomassen <ma...@peter-thomassen.de>.
Hi,

I suspect that initgroups isn't executed early enough. I put it in devel
because I thought that could be a bug. Am I wrong here with my question?

Thanks,
Peter