Posted to dev@olingo.apache.org by "Amend, Christian" <ch...@sap.com> on 2016/03/30 13:53:46 UTC

Release License and Notice file questions

Hi all,

In preparation for our release I have added the server extension module to our release build. This means that a zip file will be created which will be signed and then provided via the Olingo download page. Since this requires us to package all dependencies in the zip file we have to adjust the NOTICE and LICENSE file accordingly.
I have done this with the following commit[1] but I am unsure if this is enough since I am no expert on this matter.

The issue is the "Streaming API for XML" which is dually licensed under the GNU license and the CDDL 1.0 license. As far as I know if you are an Apache project you can distribute the binary under the CDDL license and leave the GNU license away. This is the way I currently wrote it.

See the NOTICE file here: https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=olingo-odata4.git;a=blob;f=dist/server-lib-ext/src/main/resources/NOTICE;h=cf46a6d63d6aaadec8e921333d75b91a563e679d;hb=HEAD
See the LICENSE file here: https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=olingo-odata4.git;a=blob;f=dist/server-lib-ext/src/main/resources/LICENSE;h=5ac84fb1fbb81b7507406a4813846c400bdc12ce;hb=HEAD

Could you please provide feedback if this is enough to ensure we are compliant with the Apache guidelines or do we need another text?

Thanks & Best Regards,
Christian

[1] https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=olingo-odata4.git;a=commit;h=5a97aa2610bcd153cd179cde2e5b06fa0f99549b

Re: Release License and Notice file questions

Posted by mibo <mi...@apache.org>.
Hi all,

IMHO with the NOTICES and LICENSE added by Christian and that the „Streaming API for XML“ is added as binary (JAR) we are align with the legal terms defined by Apache: http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#category-b

Other Apache projects also include the „Streaming API for XML“ with the CDDL license reference.
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/LENS/Licensing+in+Apache+Lens

https://github.com/soundasleep/simple-cmis-java/blob/master/lib/opencmis/DEPENDENCIES

The only part I would change in the LICENSE is the used url: http://www.sun.com/cddl/cddl.html

to this: https://glassfish.java.net/public/CDDL+GPL.html