Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de> on 2003/02/17 01:13:54 UTC

Markers in areas

Hi,
does somebody need the markers attached to an area? I just canned them,
as well as another array atteched to areas (lineage pairs). Markers
were only used in the XML renderer. They ought to have uses to implement
retrieve-positions first-include-carryover and last-ending-within-page,
but they didn't get used for this.

Objections?

J.Pietschmann

Re: Markers in areas

Posted by "Peter B. West" <pb...@powerup.com.au>.
Arved Sandstrom wrote:
> Joerg, you can freely get rid of that stuff. I originally introduced it when
> I had more faith in the spec, and thought that the authors knew what they
> were talking about when it came to to their math. Specifically, the lineage
> pairs is an abstract concept that I can see no implementation use for. In
> fact, I can't see any theoretical use for the idea either.

Arved,

I'm glad that I am not the only one who could see no purpose in the
discussion of "lineage".  However, I'd like your comments on a couple of
aspects of lineage.

The first of the two parts of the definition:

<quote>A set of nodes in a tree is a lineage if:
     *  there is a node N in the set such that all the nodes in the set
are ancestors of N, and
</quote>

This seems a strange.

<quote>Normal areas represent areas in the "normal flow of text"; that
is, they become area children of the areas generated by the formatting
object to which they are returned. Normal areas have a returned-by
lineage of size one.</quote>

I wondered about the point of all this, but in looking at the Errata, I
found a series of modifications for the description of 'Areas' in the
description of fo:bidi-override, fo:inline and fo:basic-link as follows:

<quote>Section 6.6.2

Replace:

in the "Areas:" portion "returns these areas, any page-level-out-of-line
areas, and any reference-level-out-of-line areas returned by the children"

with

"returns these areas, together with any normal block-areas,
page-level-out-of-line areas, and reference-level-out-of-line areas
returned by the children"</quote>

It seesm to me that these changes create normal block areas with a
lineage with size greater than one.

What do you think?

--
Peter B. West  pbwest@powerup.com.au  http://www.powerup.com.au/~pbwest/
"Lord, to whom shall we go?"

Re: Markers in areas

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Mark C. Allman wrote:
> ... but markers will continue to work as per the XSLFO spec, correct?

There are restrictions (and have always been). Look into the CHANGES
file.

J.Pietschmann

RE: Markers in areas

Posted by "Mark C. Allman" <mc...@allmanpc.com>.
... but markers will continue to work as per the XSLFO spec, correct?
We depend on markers for dynamic page headings.

-- Mark C. Allman
-- Allman Professional Consulting, Inc.
-- www.allmanpc.com, 617-947-4263

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.