Posted to user@metron.apache.org by "Puzio, Domenic" <Do...@capitalone.com> on 2016/05/16 18:04:36 UTC

Issues with Full-Dev Vagrant

Hey Metron team,

I’m working to test my CEF parser topology with the full-dev vagrant platform, but I’m having some issues. The provisioning steps successfully completed, but now I’m trying to start my new topology and having trouble.

  1.  I tried to kill the existing topologies (bro, yaf, etc.) to make some room on the crowded VM. However, once they were killed, they immediately restarted without prompting. I tried killing them from the Storm UI as well as the command line with ‘sudo’.
  2.  Storm Supervisor and Nimbus keep dropping out; I have to restart them in Ambari, but they only last for so long before dropping out again. I’m guessing this is due to resource constraints. What services can I stop in Ambari and still be able to successfully run my topology. I’ve already stopped bro and pcap-replay via the command line.

What are your thoughts on this? Have you ever faced similar issues?

Thank you!

Domenic

Re: Issues with Full-Dev Vagrant

Posted by Nick Allen <ni...@nickallen.org>.
I would suggest that you work with "Quick Dev Platform" because it is...
ahem... quicker. :)

Resource constraints on a single node deployment is always a pain.  We
added some functionality recently to allow you to control what services get
started by default per https://github.com/apache/incubator-metron/pull/118.
There are some instructions in the PR on how you can use Monit to control
the running services quite easily through a web interface or command-line.

You can also edit the 'services_to_start' property in
"metron-deployment/inventory/full-dev-platform/group_vars/all" to only
start the services that you want.

Side note: Right now, both the Full and Quick Dev platforms point to the
configuration data in "metron-deployment/inventory/full-dev-platform".
That might be a little confusing at the moment.  We will get that fixed
soon.

Hope that helps.

Nick Allen <ni...@nickallen.org>