Posted to dev@arrow.apache.org by Ian Cook <ia...@ursacomputing.com> on 2023/01/18 02:35:48 UTC

Arrow sync call January 18 at 17:00 UTC

Hi all,

Our biweekly Arrow sync call is tomorrow at 17:00 UTC / 12:00 EST.

Zoom meeting URL:
https://zoom.us/j/87649033008?pwd=SitsRHluQStlREM0TjJVYkRibVZsUT09
Meeting ID: 876 4903 3008
Passcode: 958092

Thanks,
Ian

Re: Arrow sync call January 18 at 17:00 UTC

Posted by Ian Cook <ia...@ursacomputing.com>.
Beginning this week, we are using Google Docs to capture the notes
from the biweekly Arrow sync call. The notes for this and future
instances of this call will be captured in this Google Doc:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xrji8fc6_24TVmKiHJB4ECX1Zy2sy2eRbBjpVJMnPmk/

Going forward, I intend to refer to this biweekly meeting as the
"Arrow community meeting" which seems more welcoming and inclusive.
The title and heading of the Google Doc use that name.

A copy of the notes from this week's call are also included below in this email:

2023-01-18

Attendees:

- Anja Boskovic
- Rusty Conover
- Ian Cook
- Raúl Cumplido
- Ian Joiner
- Will Jones
- Sean Kelly
- David Li
- Bryce Mecum
- Rok Mihevc
- Matthew Topol
- Jacob Wujciak

11.0.0 release

- Code freeze was on Monday
- Release candidate was created today
- Packaging and validation is underway
- We encountered a few small problems but so far we have not needed to
create a new release candidate
- Help verifying the release is welcome once the RC is shared
  - We test on a large matrix of environments in our CI, but
verification in real-world environments is helpful

Jira to GitHub post-migration tasks (if any)

- The migration from Jira to GitHub issues is now complete
  - Thank you to Rok, Todd, and all others who contributed to this
- Anyone notice any problems?
  - There was a problem with selecting components, but Jacob fixed this
  - Some issues were removed from the 11.0.0 milestone but were not
assigned a new milestone. As a general rule, should we assign a new
milestone corresponding to the next major release when an issue is
bumped out of release scope?
    - Probably not, because in the past, many of the issues that were
assigned Fixed In versions in Jira were very old and had just been
repeatedly bumped from one major release to the next
    - It might be more meaningful to track coarser-grained
initiatives/projects for roadmap planning, rather than fine-grained
issues
      - We could use the Projects feature in GitHub for this
- Note that each GitHub Issue can only have one milestone associated
with it, so we cannot assign bugfixes to a maintenance release and to
the next major release like we often did in Jira
- Note that GitHub Issues can have multiple assignees, unlike in Jira
We need to have a broader discussion about our maintenance policy and
versioning conventions
  - See the notes from our discussion about that in the December 7 sync call [1]
- Keeping "GH-" as the issue prefix for PRs?
  - Changing this would break the auto-linking that GitHub does
between issues and PRs, so we should probably keep it for now
  - Other repos like CPython also use the "GH-" prefix
- Appropriate use of "wip" tag in GitHub Issues (if any)?
  - This is one of GitHub's built-in issue tags
  - Usually, assigning the issue to yourself signals that you are
working on it, so using the "wip" tag does not seem necessary
  - Jacob and Raúl are looking at how to improve the developer
experience, for example with a bot that removes the assignee for stale
issues
- Do we need to disable the Jira bots?
  - Jacob will do this
- Can we delete the migration dry-run repos?
  - Rok will do this and ask Todd to do it
- If you were previously subscribed to receive notifications on Jira
issues, you will not automatically receive notifications from GitHub
  - Use the script provided by Rok to re-subscribe to notifications [2]

Question about how best for contributors to communicate ideas before
they have a PR ready
- Open an issue
  - Appropriate for bugfixes, minor enhancements, etc.
- Send an email to the dev mailing list
  - Appropriate for larger-scale feature proposals, spec changes, etc.

[1] https://lists.apache.org/thread/gbywpzbvpfydq24m1c0w6jgybnsrf9xm