Posted to user@spark.apache.org by Tom <th...@gmail.com> on 2015/03/31 00:50:46 UTC

"Spark-events does not exist" error, while it does with all the req. rights

I have set
spark.eventLog.enabled true
as I try to preserve log files. When I run, I get
"Log directory /tmp/spark-events does not exist."
I set
spark.local.dir ~/spark
spark.eventLog.dir ~/spark/spark-events
and
SPARK_LOCAL_DIRS=~/spark
Now I get:
"Log directory ~/spark/spark-events does not exist."
I am running spark as "hduser", which I also use on the cmd(as verified in
the stdout "Set(hduser); users with modify permissions: Set(hduser)"). I am
able to cd into this directory. I can also create, view and delete files in
this directory, logged in as hduser. I checked the folder, it is owned by
hduser. I even performed chmod 777, but Spark keeps on crashing when I run
with spark.eventLog.enabled. It works without. Any hints?

Thanks,

Tom

Re: "Spark-events does not exist" error, while it does with all the req. rights

Posted by Marcelo Vanzin <va...@cloudera.com>.
FYI I wrote a small test to try to reproduce this, and filed
SPARK-6688 to track the fix.

--
Marcelo

Re: "Spark-events does not exist" error, while it does with all the req. rights

Posted by Marcelo Vanzin <va...@cloudera.com>.

--
Marcelo

Re: "Spark-events does not exist" error, while it does with all the req. rights

Posted by Tom Hubregtsen <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marcelo Vanzin <va...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Tom Hubregtsen <th...@gmail.com>.
I run Spark in local mode.

Command line (added some debug info):
hduser@hadoop7:~/spark-terasort$ ./bin/run-example SparkPi 10
Jar:
/home/hduser/spark-terasort/examples/target/scala-2.10/spark-examples-1.3.0-SNAPSHOT-hadoop2.4.0.jar
/home/hduser/spark-terasort/bin/spark-submit --master local[*] --class
org.apache.spark.examples.SparkPi
/home/hduser/spark-terasort/examples/target/scala-2.10/spark-examples-1.3.0-SNAPSHOT-hadoop2.4.0.jar
10
15/03/30 17:37:28 INFO spark.SparkContext: Running Spark version
1.3.0-SNAPSHOT
15/03/30 17:37:28 WARN spark.SparkConf: In Spark 1.0 and later
spark.local.dir will be overridden by the value set by the cluster manager
(via SPARK_LOCAL_DIRS in mesos/standalone and LOCAL_DIRS in YARN).
15/03/30 17:37:28 INFO spark.SparkContext: Spark configuration:
spark.app.name=Spark Pi
spark.default.parallelism=8
spark.driver.extraJavaOptions=-Dos.arch=ppc64le
spark.driver.memory=4G
spark.eventLog.dir=/home/hduser/spark/spark-events
spark.eventLog.enabled=true
spark.executor.extraJavaOptions=-Dos.arch=ppc64le
spark.executor.memory=32G
spark.jars=file:/home/hduser/spark-terasort/examples/target/scala-2.10/spark-examples-1.3.0-SNAPSHOT-hadoop2.4.0.jar
spark.local.dir=/home/hduser/spark
spark.logConf=true
spark.master=local[*]

Stack trace:
15/03/30 17:37:30 INFO storage.BlockManagerMaster: Registered BlockManager
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Log
directory ~/spark/spark-events does not exist.
    at
org.apache.spark.scheduler.EventLoggingListener.start(EventLoggingListener.scala:90)
    at org.apache.spark.SparkContext.<init>(SparkContext.scala:363)
    at org.apache.spark.examples.SparkPi$.main(SparkPi.scala:28)
    at org.apache.spark.examples.SparkPi.main(SparkPi.scala)
    at
sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:95)
    at
sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:55)
    at org.apache.spark.deploy.SparkSubmit$.launch(SparkSubmit.scala:365)
    at org.apache.spark.deploy.SparkSubmit$.main(SparkSubmit.scala:75)

Posted by Marcelo Vanzin <va...@cloudera.com>.

--
Marcelo

Re: "Spark-events does not exist" error, while it does with all the req. rights

Posted by Tom Hubregtsen <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marcelo Vanzin <va...@cloudera.com>.
Are those config values in spark-defaults.conf? I don't think you can
use "~" there - IIRC it does not do any kind of variable expansion.

On Mon, Mar 30, 2015 at 3:50 PM, Tom <th...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have set
> spark.eventLog.enabled true
> as I try to preserve log files. When I run, I get
> "Log directory /tmp/spark-events does not exist."
> I set
> spark.local.dir ~/spark
> spark.eventLog.dir ~/spark/spark-events
> and
> SPARK_LOCAL_DIRS=~/spark
> Now I get:
> "Log directory ~/spark/spark-events does not exist."
> I am running spark as "hduser", which I also use on the cmd(as verified in
> the stdout "Set(hduser); users with modify permissions: Set(hduser)"). I am
> able to cd into this directory. I can also create, view and delete files in
> this directory, logged in as hduser. I checked the folder, it is owned by
> hduser. I even performed chmod 777, but Spark keeps on crashing when I run
> with spark.eventLog.enabled. It works without. Any hints?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tom

Marcelo

Re: "Spark-events does not exist" error, while it does with all the req. rights

Posted by Robineast <Ro...@xense.co.uk>.
The directory needs to exist on the driver

-----
Robin East
Spark GraphX in Action Michael Malak and Robin East
Manning Publications Co.
http://www.manning.com/books/spark-graphx-in-action