Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Timothy Stone <ci...@petmystone.com> on 2004/01/26 20:32:52 UTC

[users@httpd] January Microsoft Updates on deck...user experiences solicited...

List,

My hardware admin (I'm the Apache administrator) is requesting to apply
the January updates from Micros~1 on my Windoze 2k SP4 servers running
Apache 2.0.x. (We'll save the topic of why Apache on Windoze for another
thread, suffice to say I begged and pleaded for BSD | GNU/Linux but FUD
prevailed.)

More info on Jan. updates:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security/Currentdl.asp

While I'm cognizant of the need to be patch current with Micros~1
servers, this specific patch relates to the MDAC extensions on all
Windoze boxes. I have had very bad experiences with MDAC updates in the
past. I also believe, and outlined throughly to the admin, that the
threshold of this security flaw is very high as the boxes are dedicated
to Apache (i.e. port 80) and no other outside connections are permitted
via the firewall/DMZ. Rather than run the risk of physically altering
the OS of the servers, I weighed that the risk of compromise is much
lower. My logic: any time a server is patched, in production, the risk
of OS failure spikes. Yes, in production; we do not have the resources
to host a test box for patch work.

Can the more experienced server admins out there that have applied the
patches for January share stories of success or failure? Maybe I don't
have anything to worry about...Apache may not tie to these MDAC APIs; I
don't know, do they?

Many thanks in advance! and warmest regards,
Tim

Re: [users@httpd] January Microsoft Updates on deck...user experiences solicited...

Posted by Timothy Stone <ci...@petmystone.com>.

> Tim,
>
> I am running a large number of Apache Web Servers 2.0.48. Our Win2k
> machines have all the latest patches and I have not experienced any
> problems.

Thank you Chris!

Posted by hunter <th...@sympatico.ca>.

--