Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by "Kirkilis, John (Nokia - US/Austin)" <jo...@nokia.com> on 2021/01/02 21:53:53 UTC

Visual Debugging using borders or background colors

Hello,

I made a feeble attempt to put borders on fo:blocks with different colors to help identify which blocks were contributing to adjacent vertical white space areas, but the border itself would take up vertical space and shift the content below it down. If several blocks had borders, then the cumulative displacement was pronounced.

Are there any border attribute settings that would mitigate this effect?

Are background colors a better way to go?

Ideally, it would be great of FOP had such an option to show various kinds of object boundaries without disturbing the placement of objects.

Best Regards,

John

Re: Visual Debugging using borders or background colors

Posted by Jon Schewe <jp...@mtu.net>.
On Sat, 2021-01-02 at 21:53 +0000, Kirkilis, John (Nokia - US/Austin)
wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I made a feeble attempt to put borders on fo:blocks with different
> colors to help identify which blocks were contributing to adjacent
> vertical white space areas, but the border itself would take up
> vertical space and shift the content below it down. If several blocks
> had borders, then the cumulative displacement was pronounced.
>
> Are there any border attribute settings that would mitigate this
> effect?
>
> Are background colors a better way to go?
>
> Ideally, it would be great of FOP had such an option to show various
> kinds of object boundaries without disturbing the placement of
> objects.

When I was debugging similar issues I used a combination of borders and
background colors. I don't remember the borders adding space, but I
also wasn't worried about what was below the elements that I added
borders to. The background colors is an easy way to debug layout issues
as well. I've used this in FOP as well as GUIs.

Re: Visual Debugging using borders or background colors

Posted by Chris Bowditch <bo...@hotmail.com>.
Hi,

Background colours are a more effective way of identifying which part of
a document comes from which Formatting object. As you already mentioned
using border is less effective as it alters the layout of the objects as
borders themselves require space in the document

Thanks,

Chris