Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Henri Yandell <ba...@apache.org> on 2017/10/03 17:53:01 UTC

License of unmerged contributions [Was: Status of code licensed to the ASF but not submitted to the ASF]

A related question is:

What is the license of software contributed to Apache but not accepted by
Apache. For example a patch on JIRA or pull request on GitHub that has not
yet been merged.

Apache 2.0 says:

"*5. Submission of Contributions*. Unless You explicitly state otherwise,
any Contribution intentionally submitted for inclusion in the Work by You
to the Licensor shall be under the terms and conditions of this License,
without any additional terms or conditions. Notwithstanding the above,
nothing herein shall supersede or modify the terms of any separate license
agreement you may have executed with Licensor regarding such Contributions."

Does Apache take a blanket position that any patch contributed to Apache
which is licensed to Apache under Apache 2.0 (per clause 5), is also
licensed by Apache to everyone else?

Hen

Re: License of unmerged contributions [Was: Status of code licensed to the ASF but not submitted to the ASF]

Posted by Henri Yandell <he...@yandell.org>.
Thanks Bill.

I'm not convinced. While Licensor is any one who has contributed into our
project, clause 5 is about the specific Licensor that the patch submitter
has intentionally submitted to. I may personally have copyright in Apache
XYZ, but the submission is to the ASF, not to me personally.

In clause 5 a new Apache license is created. The Licensor in this new
instance is the patch submitter (and any others owning copyright under
apache license in it), while the licensee is one of the original licenses'
Licensors; i.e. The target of the intentional submission.

[As a side note; this suggests clause 5 only applies when submitting to a
distributor who has a copyright interest in the work, not an unmodifying
redistributor.]

That original Licensor (the target) has the rights to distribute further
under license. We could say that when Apache makes that patch available in
JIRA that we're exercising that right, and presumably we could extend that
to GitHub (not our platform but hosted on our behalf).

Or, perhaps more clearly, the ASF could say that it automatically offers up
any patch licensed to it under clause 5 under Apache license to all others
and not just itself.

Hen

Posted by William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Broader question.