Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Jens von Pilgrim <j....@4flow.de> on 2001/12/11 12:26:32 UTC

Handling formatter messages

Hello,

I'm wondering how formatter messages can be handled with FOP.
In JAXP, a listener pattern is used for handling messages and errors
occuring while processing, like

javax.xml.transformer.Transformer transformer =
tFactory.newTransformer(source);
transformer.setErrorListener(myListener);

Using FOP, the only way of receiving a little bit more information than
a single exception (usually a fatal error)
is using an org.apache.log.Logger class (or subclass).

The advantage of JAXP architecture is, that the listener are called with
a TransformerException.
This class defines beside the message string also the position, which
caused the message.
BTW, another disadvantage of the Logger class is that it's not an
interface...

The XALAN API defines a debugging interface.

Is there someting I haven't seen yet in the FOP API?

Jens

Jens von Pilgrim
4flow AG
Berlin, Germany