Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Paul-J Woodward <pa...@db.com> on 2003/12/29 20:55:15 UTC

Dynamic form property names

Dear All,

I have been struggling with this all day, It'll take a bit of background to explain what I am trying to do:

I am creating an online wizard to populate templatised web pages, and hence create a dynamic struts/tiles-based site.

Each template has various containers for content, each container can be filled by a set of different tiles. The templates are defined in a database. The definition for a template associates each container with the category of tile that it can hold, for instance a template may have containers for navigation and menu tiles. The database also contains a list of tiles that fit into each category of container.

I would like to create a single form that lists the categories, that has radio button for every tile in each category.
My code looks like this:

      <logic:iterate id="elementCategory" name="selectedTemplate" property="elementCategories" type="com.db.gci.ge.epg.actions.addcontent.TemplateElementCategory">
            <b><bean:write name="elementCategory" property="category" /></b>
            <bean:write name="elementCategory" property="description" />
            Compatible elements in this category:<br>
            <ul>
            <logic:iterate id="compatibleElement" name="elementCategory" property="compatibleElements" type="com.db.gci.ge.epg.actions.addcontent.TemplateElement">

                  <b><bean:write name="compatibleElement" property="name" /></b><br>
                  <bean:write name="compatibleElement" property="description" />
            </logic:iterate>
            </ul>
      </logic:iterate>

The issue is this:
I need to make the action form map-backed (I think) because the number of radio buttons is only know at runtime, but I can't find any way to name the radio buttons by the name of the category that is being selected. What I would like to use is value(<%= elementCategory.getName() %>) where my action form has a map and a setValue(String key, Object object) function.

Thanks in advance, Paul