Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Alexander Diedler <AD...@tecracer.de> on 2008/04/01 13:03:32 UTC

Tomcat on AMD64 System

Hello @ll,

It is very stupid. I get not ran a Tomcat 6.0.16 Server on a Windows 2003 Standard Edition x64 Edition with Java 1.5 AMD64 Edition. I found may workarounds (replace the Tomcat5.exe but I have a Tomcat 6 Version!!, Recompile the Files uhhhh!!!!).

Some points are very unclear:

-          After JRE and JDK Installation the Command java -version doesn´t work. On a "normal" 32 Bit Server then will be shown the Version without manually editing the PATH Variable in System Settings.

-          The Tomcat Installer doesn´t found automatically the fitted JRE... on all other Installations I have done on W32 Systems everything was found without manually work.

-          The Tomcat server doesn´t start and in Logfile is a message like "This 32Bit Application does not ran on 64 Bit"

Has anybody a very clear and easy Step-by-Step Manual to Install Tomcat 6.x on a W2K3 Server x64?

Greetings

Alexander

RE: Tomcat on AMD64 System

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Alexander Diedler [mailto:ADiedler@tecracer.de]
> Subject: Tomcat on AMD64 System
>
> replace the Tomcat5.exe but I have a Tomcat 6 Version

You don't have to recompile; just get the tomcat5.exe and tomcat5w.exe files for AMD64 and rename them, replacing the 5 with a 6 in each file.  They're located here:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/connectors/trunk/procrun/bin/

> After JRE and JDK Installation the Command java
> -version doesn´t work.

Sounds like your JVM installation didn't go properly. Sun's installer registers the last public JRE as the default, so try reinstalling just the 64-bit version.  You should probably remove the 32-bit one first.

> The Tomcat Installer doesn´t found automatically
> the fitted JRE...

Another indication that the JRE installation did not complete properly.

> The Tomcat server doesn´t start and in Logfile is
> a message like "This 32Bit Application does not
> ran on 64 Bit"

Are you sure that's what it says?  I was under the impression that came out when trying to run a 32-bit service, which means you haven't really updated the tomcat6.exe file.

Unfortunately, I have no 64-bit Windows systems here to play with.

 - Chuck